× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I isolate VLAN traffic without using a firewall?

Tim_In_VA
Aspirant

Can I isolate VLAN traffic without using a firewall?

I would like to create a switch configuration having 3 VLANS in routed mode so that the following would be true:

a) An external Internet router (i.e., one plugged into one of the VLANS) is the gateway for all devices on all VLANS;

b) No device on any VLAN can access a device on any other VLAN. Each VLAN is therefore "private."

Is this possible? If so, what should the default route be in the routing table, assuming I have VLAN10 addressed as 192.168.10.0/24, VLAN20 as 192.168.20.0/24, and VLAN30 as 192.168.30.0/24?

Lastly, is an external firewall needed to protect each VLAN from all other VLANs? Or can a switch configuration take care of this?

Thanks,

Tim_in_VA

Model: GS728TP|ProSafe 24 ports PoE Smart switch with 8 PoE+ ports
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Can I isolate VLAN traffic without using a firewall?

@Tim_In_VA,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

Basically, by default, VLANs do not communicate with each other that is why we created VLANs to separate the devices on each network. Even if there is a firewall, as long as the inter-VLAN routing is disabled, then it will be isolated.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Can I isolate VLAN traffic without using a firewall?

@Tim_In_VA,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

Basically, by default, VLANs do not communicate with each other that is why we created VLANs to separate the devices on each network. Even if there is a firewall, as long as the inter-VLAN routing is disabled, then it will be isolated.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements