× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't access GS116Ev2 after switching Broadcast Forwarding to Hardware Mode

pcm0
Aspirant

Can't access GS116Ev2 after switching Broadcast Forwarding to Hardware Mode

After following the recommendations from the following KM article:

https://kb.netgear.com/31257/Default-IGMP-settings-may-affect-multicast-streams-on-NETGEAR-Web-Manag...

I was able to solve my multicast stream issues.  Unfortunately, setting broadcast forward method to hardware disabled access to the GS116Ev2 switch even from the web GUI.  I expected the ProSafe utility to not work (as indicated by the warning), but I was also unable to access the switch from the web GUI either and had to factory reset and restore config to get it working again.  Is there something else I need to do?

Note - I tried only disabling IGMP snooping and leaving broadcast forwarding to dynamic, but it didn't solve my original connection issues.  Only by setting broadcast forwarding to hardware did I notice the original issue disappear.

Note, the GS116Ev2 is setup with several VLANs and gets its IP via DHCP.  The firmware is the latest at 2.6.0.24....

Model: GS116Ev2|ProSAFE Plus 16-port Gigabit Switch
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
pcm0
Aspirant

Re: Can't access GS116Ev2 after switching Broadcast Forwarding to Hardware Mode

After some trial & error, it looks like the switch needs to have a static IP when switching broadcast forwarding to HW mode.  I guess that makes sense so the switch knows when it's being addressed as it's no longer "snooping", but this wasn't documented well...

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
pcm0
Aspirant

Re: Can't access GS116Ev2 after switching Broadcast Forwarding to Hardware Mode

After some trial & error, it looks like the switch needs to have a static IP when switching broadcast forwarding to HW mode.  I guess that makes sense so the switch knows when it's being addressed as it's no longer "snooping", but this wasn't documented well...

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements