× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't ping AP connected to switch

tantony
Luminary

Can't ping AP connected to switch

I have an UniFi AP connected to XS716T.  If I connect the AP to the router, I can ping it.  If I connect AP to the Netgear switch, I can't ping it.  When its connected to the switch, it gets the correct dhcp (same as when connected to the router), but can't ping the AP.  I'm stuck.

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
tantony
Luminary

I got it working now.  It was a combination of switch and AP setting.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Agan, you are much to short on information. UniFi AP are running the management VLAN untagged (unless this has changed), so a wrong PVID on the port might be fatal and make the pings fail and drop into a wrong VLAN.

Message 2 of 9
tantony
Luminary

If I connect the AP to an access port (U), it gets dhcp and I can ping, but the SSIDs on different VLANs don't work because I'm connected to an access port.

The only way I can get the SSIDs associated with different VLANs to work is if I make the port a trunk port (T), but then I have this problem.  It gets a dhcp from the router, but I can't ping it.

Message 3 of 9
tantony
Luminary

"UniFi AP are running the management VLAN untagged (unless this has changed), so a wrong PVID on the port might be fatal and make the pings fail and drop into a wrong VLAN."

What do I need to do to fix this?  The switch port needs to be trunk so the different SSIDs connected to their VLANs can work.  I'm sorry if I'm not being clear enough.

Message 4 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Which VLAN ID is your UniFi management VLAN? 

That same VLAN, is it to be exposed as a wireless SSID, too?

Message 5 of 9
tantony
Luminary

On my Netgear XS716T, the UniFi AP is going to be plugged into port 15.  So, I made port 15 members of VLANs 2,3,4 (U) untagged.  Then I made the PVID 4.  When I connected the AP to port 15, it got a VLAN 4 dhcp, and I'm able to ping the AP now from the switch and router and laptop.  I'm able to adopt the AP from the UniFi controller.

I have 3 SSIDs

VLAN 2 = "VLAN 2"

VLAN 3 = "VLAN 3"

VLAN 4 = "VLAN 4"

But when I connect to the SSIDs they say "No Internet".  As I understand, the AP is just a L2 device so I'm not sure why its saying that now.

Message 6 of 9
tantony
Luminary

I got it working now.  It was a combination of switch and AP setting.

Message 7 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@tantony wrote:

On my Netgear XS716T, the UniFi AP is going to be plugged into port 15.  So, I made port 15 members of VLANs 2,3,4 (U) untagged.

That's definitively wrong. the SSIDs are linked to VLAN IDs, and these are tagged - both on the UniFi AP and on the switch port.

Message 8 of 9
tantony
Luminary

Agreed, that's not the setting I have now.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements