× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't update GS108PEv3 firmware

Fry-kun
Aspirant

Can't update GS108PEv3 firmware

I just got a GS108PEv3 and trying to update it to latest firmware, 2.06.10 (it's currently on 2.06.08)

I tried 2 browsers (Firefox, Chrome) and the file upload appears to happen, but the switch doesn't seeem to react at all to that. After several minutes, I open a new tab and open the switch page -- it's in loader mode and responds to reboot command.

Is there a way to use TFTP to upgrade it?

I don't have access to a Windows machine, so the ProSAFE software is out of the question

Model: GS108PEv3|ProSafe Gigabit Plus switch with PoE
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Fry-kun
Aspirant

Re: Can't update GS108PEv3 firmware

I managed to revive the switch after finding an ancient desktop with Windows XP, installing the proSafe software on it.

The software found the switch stuck in "flashing" mode and allowed me to finish the flashing.

There should be a huge disclaimer that says "DO NOT USE FIRMWARE UPGRADE FROM ANY MODERN BROWSER"

They don't allow setting file upload timeout nowadays...

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Fry-kun

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Kindly try to perform a factory reset on your GS108PEv3 then try to update again the firmware to the latest version.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 10
Fry-kun
Aspirant

I tried the factory reset and a crazy reset from https://community.netgear.com/t5/Smart-Plus-Click-Switches/GS108Ev3-wont-complete-factory-reset/td-p...

I'm able to access the switch via the web interface but the upgrade process still gets stuck with progress bar at 100, for many minutes (waited >10min). After that, I open a new tab and go to switch url -- it's still in loader mode -- and I select reboot. It reboots back to normal state with old firmware.

I read somewhere here that if I hold the factory defaults button for a while, it enters recovery mode -- will TFTP work from there?

If necessary, I can also open up the unit and use JTAG interface..

Message 3 of 10
Fry-kun
Aspirant

I tried to reset with 2sec and 30/5/5, the effect is still the same:

* I set the switch to loader mode and upload the update.

* The progress bar stays at 100% for a long time (10-15min) and I'm able to open the switch UI in a new tab. It's still in loader mode, so the options are to upload another file or reboot.

* After reboot, it looks fine but still has the old version, V2.06.08EN

What are the next steps? Is there a recovery mode for TFTP? Worst case, I could use JTAG inside the unit, just need instructions..

Message 4 of 10
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Fry-kun,

Thanks for the feedback.  To further isolate the problem, let us try a different PC/laptop and kindly download again the latest firmware v2.06.10 here.  If I'm not mistaken the file size of the zip file should be about 255KB.  Then, perform the steps I indicated on the forum thread here.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 10
Fry-kun
Aspirant

Found an ancient laptop to try with. Firefox wouldn't open a file browser, but Chrome worked.

The browser showed "Uploading ..%" in the status for a few minutes, but quit around 50% (this took about 6min). I waited another 6min or so and tried to reboot the switch like before (from a new tab).

The switch now can't be rebooted to non-loader mode.

Message 6 of 10
Fry-kun
Aspirant

If you have the settings for JTAG interface (voltage/baud/parity/etc.), please tell me if I can upload the firmware that way.

Message 7 of 10
Fry-kun
Aspirant

My switch is now broken because of your advice, thanks a lot.

Of course this message will get removed, so I've got that going for me...

Message 8 of 10
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Fry-kun,

I apologize that the switch got broken while exhausting the troubleshooting steps.  I suggest you to open a support ticket with NETGEAR Support at anytime here to process an online replacement.  Be sure to upload a soft copy of the Proof of Purchase or Sales Invoice of your GS108PEv3 for warranty verification.  If the hardware warranty is valid, an online replacement will follow. 

To know more about the NETGEAR Warranty Return Policy, kindly access the article below: 

NETGEAR Warranty Return Policy

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 10
Fry-kun
Aspirant

I managed to revive the switch after finding an ancient desktop with Windows XP, installing the proSafe software on it.

The software found the switch stuck in "flashing" mode and allowed me to finish the flashing.

There should be a huge disclaimer that says "DO NOT USE FIRMWARE UPGRADE FROM ANY MODERN BROWSER"

They don't allow setting file upload timeout nowadays...

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements