× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cant factory reset GS748TS

GraveDigr
Tutor

Cant factory reset GS748TS

Tried using the factory default button. No good.

I saw in another post (with a different switch - GS748Tv4) and an extended reset procedure,so I attempted that.

1. Disconnect the GS748TS switch from your existing network and make sure its turned on.  Get a straightened paper clip.
2. Insert the paper clip to the factory defaults hole located near the SFP ports then press and hold the factory reset button inside it for 30 seconds.
3. After 30 seconds, turn off the GS748TS switch while you still continue to press and hold the factory reset button.  Wait for 5 seconds.
4. After 5 seconds, turn on the GS748TS switch while you still continue to press and hold the factory reset button.  Wait for another 5 seconds.
5. After 5 seconds, release the paper clip from the factory reset button.  Check if the GS748TS switch will boot up properly.

I have tried to connect with a laptop and a static IP address of 192.168.0.10, to access the 192.168.0.239 address that all the documentation discusses. Attempts to browse to it dont work either - No address of 192.168.0.239 is seen on the network with an IP Address scan.

I've tried to connect with the SmartWizard, but it doesnt detect the GS748TS on the network.

I cant think of anything else. Can you please give me some clues as to what I can do next, to allow me to get into this switch and reset the configuration

Many thanks in advance
Model: GS748TS|ProSAFE Gigabit Stackable Smart Switch|EOL
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
GraveDigr
Tutor

Re: Cant factory reset GS748TS

Editor Note: It was determined that after all troubeshoting steps below that the device required a replacement. See reply 7 for details on switch replacement..

Hi Dane

To answer your questions ->

a. Is the power LED lit up solid green when the GS748TS switch is turned on? - Yes - Solid Green

b. How about the fan LED, is it lit up green? - No, Yellow / Orange. The fan on the left side is not spinning. The fan on the right side is spining.

c. Since you have already factory reset the GS748TS switch, have you tried to check if you can get replies when you ping the default IP address of the switch (192.168.0.239) while your PC is directly connected with a static IP address of 192.168.0.210? - No. There is no response to a ping. I scan the subnet with an IP address scanner, and that no other address, except my laptop appears. There is no 192.168.0.239 address shown. When I tried to use the smartwizard discovery utility, there is no devices detected.

The light on the switchport, to which the laptop is connected, illuminates when I connect the cable from the laptop. This indicates to me that the switch isnt 'hung'

Thanks

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi GraveDigr,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

What is the behavior of the LED lights of the GS748TS switch that you have? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 7
GraveDigr
Tutor

The LED lights that are illuminated on the switch is that there is a "0" displayed on the very left side of the front panel on the switch. The power LED is illuminated. When I connect any network cables to it, the link light comes up, either orange or green. On the right hand side, I have a fan LED illuminated too

Thanks.

Message 3 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@GraveDigr,

Thanks for the feedback.  Here are my follow-up questions:

a. Is the power LED lit up solid green when the GS748TS switch is turned on? 

b. How about the fan LED, is it lit up green? 

c. Since you have already factory reset the GS748TS switch, have you tried to check if you can get replies when you ping the default IP address of the switch (192.168.0.239) while your PC is directly connected with a static IP address of 192.168.0.210? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 7
GraveDigr
Tutor

Editor Note: It was determined that after all troubeshoting steps below that the device required a replacement. See reply 7 for details on switch replacement..

Hi Dane

To answer your questions ->

a. Is the power LED lit up solid green when the GS748TS switch is turned on? - Yes - Solid Green

b. How about the fan LED, is it lit up green? - No, Yellow / Orange. The fan on the left side is not spinning. The fan on the right side is spining.

c. Since you have already factory reset the GS748TS switch, have you tried to check if you can get replies when you ping the default IP address of the switch (192.168.0.239) while your PC is directly connected with a static IP address of 192.168.0.210? - No. There is no response to a ping. I scan the subnet with an IP address scanner, and that no other address, except my laptop appears. There is no 192.168.0.239 address shown. When I tried to use the smartwizard discovery utility, there is no devices detected.

The light on the switchport, to which the laptop is connected, illuminates when I connect the cable from the laptop. This indicates to me that the switch isnt 'hung'

Thanks

Message 5 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@GraveDigr,

It seems that your GS748TS switch has a hardware fault.  I suggest you to open an online / chat case with NETGEAR Support.  Kindly state the status of your GS748TS switch and the troubleshooting steps you did.  Upload a .pdf or .doc copy of the Proof of Purchase or Sales Invoice of the GS748TS for warranty verification.  If ever the hardware warranty is valid, an online replacement will follow. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@GraveDigr,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to seek assistance from NETGEAR Support.  If yes, kindly keep us posted about the progress of your chat / online case.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements