× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Configure port on switch to allow WiFi vlan

GTW99
Aspirant

Configure port on switch to allow WiFi vlan

Goal: Plug in a wireless access point into port 37 on netgear switch and have it be on VLAN 10.

Issue: We have recently had to reset our switch back to defaults and now i need to set it back up.  This netgear switch is plugged into a coreswitch. The port on the core switch that goes to the Netgear switch is untagged for the Vlan3 (PC's) and tagged for Vlan10 (Wifi).

The Netgear is now set up with Vlan1 (which gets IP's from Vlan3) and i have created a new vlan, VLAN10. All ports are untagged vlan1 and all have PVID as VLAN1. 

If i try and change any ports to T/U on VLAN1 i get the error "VLAN1: VLAN was not created by user" and if i Untag port 37 to VLAN10 and try to change the PVID on port 37 to 10 i loose access to the switch.  What step am i missing? Do i need to make sure the uplink port (Port1 on Netgear) is Untagged on VLAN10 also?  

Any help is appreciated.

Model: GS752TP|ProSafe 48 ports PoE Smart switch with 8 PoE+ ports
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Configure port on switch to allow WiFi vlan

@GTW99 wrote:

Issue: We have recently had to reset our switch back to defaults and now i need to set it back up. 

Any documentation of the switch config?

Any configuration backup files?

@GTW99 wrote:

The port on the core switch that goes to the Netgear switch is untagged for the Vlan3 (PC's) and tagged for Vlan10 (Wifi).

The Netgear is now set up with Vlan1 (which gets IP's from Vlan3) and i have created a new vlan, VLAN10. ...

Uhhhhh whaaaat? Configure the same on the new switch! Advanced 802.1q VLAN config, create the VLANs you need (these are VLAN ID 3 and VLAN ID 10, correct?), configure PC access ports on VLAN ID 3 [U]ntagged and PVID 3, configure the port for the WiFi [T]agged or [U]ntaged depending on the wireless access point configuration, configure the trunk port the very same as on your primary switch, and last but not least change the management VLAN from the default 1 to assuming 3.

So that you don't "loose" the connection to the switch, I suggest to keep one port - at least as long as the switch config isn't finished - on the default VLAN ID 1, and don't change the management VLAN before everything is ready. You can always reboot the switch, if the default VLAN ID 1 has no more other connection, and the switch is on DHCP, it will fall back to the default 192.168.0.239/24 address - so configure your management PC to an address in that subnet, and connect it direct to that "reserved" management port.

@GTW99 wrote:

If i try and change any ports to T/U on VLAN1 i get the error "VLAN1: VLAN was not created by user" and if i Untag port 37 to VLAN10 and try to change the PVID on port 37 to 10 i loose access to the switch.  What step am i missing?

With all due respect: Some training in IT management, network management, and some time to play, understand, and learn. We all have to do this every day my friend.

PS. Please note a moderator will move this thread to the appropriate Smart Plus Click Switches section as these are Smart Managed Pro, not a Managed switch model.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@GTW99 wrote:

Issue: We have recently had to reset our switch back to defaults and now i need to set it back up. 

Any documentation of the switch config?

Any configuration backup files?

@GTW99 wrote:

The port on the core switch that goes to the Netgear switch is untagged for the Vlan3 (PC's) and tagged for Vlan10 (Wifi).

The Netgear is now set up with Vlan1 (which gets IP's from Vlan3) and i have created a new vlan, VLAN10. ...

Uhhhhh whaaaat? Configure the same on the new switch! Advanced 802.1q VLAN config, create the VLANs you need (these are VLAN ID 3 and VLAN ID 10, correct?), configure PC access ports on VLAN ID 3 [U]ntagged and PVID 3, configure the port for the WiFi [T]agged or [U]ntaged depending on the wireless access point configuration, configure the trunk port the very same as on your primary switch, and last but not least change the management VLAN from the default 1 to assuming 3.

So that you don't "loose" the connection to the switch, I suggest to keep one port - at least as long as the switch config isn't finished - on the default VLAN ID 1, and don't change the management VLAN before everything is ready. You can always reboot the switch, if the default VLAN ID 1 has no more other connection, and the switch is on DHCP, it will fall back to the default 192.168.0.239/24 address - so configure your management PC to an address in that subnet, and connect it direct to that "reserved" management port.

@GTW99 wrote:

If i try and change any ports to T/U on VLAN1 i get the error "VLAN1: VLAN was not created by user" and if i Untag port 37 to VLAN10 and try to change the PVID on port 37 to 10 i loose access to the switch.  What step am i missing?

With all due respect: Some training in IT management, network management, and some time to play, understand, and learn. We all have to do this every day my friend.

PS. Please note a moderator will move this thread to the appropriate Smart Plus Click Switches section as these are Smart Managed Pro, not a Managed switch model.

Message 2 of 3
GTW99
Aspirant

Hi Schumaku,

Thanks for the response i believe you have provided enough info for me to be able to fix my issue. I appreciate your time and help.

Thanks,

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements