× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connecting 2 JGS524Ev2 Smart Switches over single cable - with mirror port to work across both u

njguitarman
Aspirant

Connecting 2 JGS524Ev2 Smart Switches over single cable - with mirror port to work across both units

Hello.  I have 2 JGS524Ev2 switches on separate floors, with 1 cable.

I also have this unit: https://www.dualcomm.com/collections/network-tap/products/gigabit-copper-network-tap, which sits between a router and a modem.

My goal is to monitor the output of the DualComm, send into 1 JGS524Ev2 and see the output on my 2nd JGS524Ev2.

Let me explain further:

Floor 1) I have the output from my DualComm port that I'd like to feed into first JGS524Ev2.

Floor 0) I'd like to see the output from the DualComm come across on my 2nd JGS524Ev2.

Reason: Source data is coming from the DualComm (on Floor 1).  Sniffer is on Floor 0.  So, Data and Sniffer are on separate floors.

FYI - I have only 1 cable between both JGS524Ev2 units.

Can someone help me configure this?  I thought I could accomplish by this:

-Set up LAG between both JGS524Ev2 units (seems to work with a single cable).

-Set up VLAN 2 on port 10 of both JGS524Ev2 units.

-Floor 1 - Plug DualComm in port 10 (vlan2)

-Floor 0 - Plug port 10 (vlan2) into port 12 (vlan1), then mirror port 12 to my mirror port on port 2 (vlan1).

This does not work.  It actually makes JGS524Ev2 on Floor 0 go offline. (loop?)

Any suggestions on how I can accomplish this?  I bought this send JGS524Ev2 for this very purpose, so I'm wondering if it's even possible.

Firmware is the latest (FYI).

Thank you.

Model: JGS524Ev2|ProSAFE Plus 24-port Gigabit Switch
Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
Nodism1125
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Connecting 2 JGS524Ev2 Smart Switches over single cable - with mirror port to work across both u

Please read this thread. This will not work since the switch does not support RSPAN. 

RSPAN allows you to monitor traffic from source ports distributed over multiple switches, which means that you can centralize your network capture devices. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Smart-Plus-Click-Switches/GS724-forward-mirrored-port-traffic-to-an...

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 19

All Replies
njguitarman
Aspirant

Diagram of  desired configuration.Diagram of desired configuration.

Message 2 of 19
Nodism1125
NETGEAR Expert

You need to setup port mirroring tper switches. The computer connected to SW2 with packet sniffer can see source ports of SW2 not SW1.

JGS524Ev2 is a smart manage plus switch.  

Message 3 of 19
schumaku
Guru

You might want to configure a dedicated VLAN spanning both switches (tagged trunk ports), and two ports untagged for this network (one on each switch) where you connect the tap resp. the sniffer. To ensure enough bandwidth is available, a LAG for the trunk should be considered. 

Message 4 of 19
njguitarman
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply.  Does this mean switch on floor 0 (sniffer location) will not be able to see spanned traffic from floor 1 (source data)?

I was somehow hoping to broadcast the source data from switch 1 to switch 2, so the sniffer can see the data. 

Message 5 of 19
schumaku
Guru

As per your network drawing, you have network tap in place, you can extend it's monitoring port over either a cable or a netowrk link, e.g. a dedicated VLAN to the sniffer device.

The switches local mirroring port capability isn't ued in your usage context at all, isn't it?

Message 6 of 19
njguitarman
Aspirant

Hello.  Thank you. 

I have the mirror port on floor 0.  That's where the sniffer is.

The span port is on floor 1.  That's where the data is.

I seem to be having difficulty getting the traffic to floor 0.

When I plug the span data into switch on floor 1, it seems to knock make my internet unusable (I think there's a loop).

So I tried to create a VLAN on both switches (vlan2), thinking I would isolate the span data to vlan2.

Then, mirror this vlan to my mirror port on floor 0.

That doesn't seem to work.

Here's what I did.

Set up LAG on port 10 on both switches (so they are aware of each other ... I think that's the use case, yes?)

Set up VLAN2 on port 5 on both switches (so they can share the span data.

floor 1 - pipe data into port 5.

floor 0 - mirror port 5 into my mirror port (2).

This does not work.

Any further thoughts?  Your help is greatly appreciated.

Message 7 of 19
schumaku
Guru

The switch mirror ports don't come into the play. All you want to do is to configure a virtual network "cable" using a dedicated VLAN - from the tap to the sniffer system -  though the switch infrastructure.

Tap<->VLAN5portuntagged<->LAGwithVLAN5tagged<->VLAN5portuntagged<->Sniffer

The switch port mirroring does act (mostly) like a network tap.

Don't forget to add the selected VLAN(tagged) to the LAG serving as a trunk connection. 

Message 8 of 19
njguitarman
Aspirant

Can I do this all over a single cable between both switches?  Unfortunately, that's all I have between floors.

Floor 0 has lots of traffic that pipe to Floor 1 for internet connectivity.

Thank you again for your assistance with this

Message 9 of 19
schumaku
Guru

Over a single network cable you can't run a LAG of course - the total amount of data can't exceed the 1Gb bandwidth (without data packet loss). At the end of the day it depends on the bandwidth you run on the Internet connection to be monitored on the tap. Of course high tech solutions like switches with 10G (cabling permitting) or at least Multigig (2.5G or 5 G) Ethernet could be considered, but that would be beyond. Adding cables is usually much less expensive.

Message 10 of 19
njguitarman
Aspirant

Hello.  Not running more then 1G.

So, can you tell me what I would need to configure?

I thought LAG was so both switches are aware of each other. 

Can you advise on how I can make this work so it all works?  Again:

floor 0 switch -> floor 1 switch for internet connectivity.

floor 1 data -> floor 0 switch for mirror port capability.

Thank you.

Message 11 of 19
schumaku
Guru

Do you need a mirror port on the floor 0 switch _or_ the ability to get the tap device located on floor 1 from floor 0 as shown on your network layout? Still confusing information.

Create a 802.1q VLAN, e.g. VLAN ID 5 on both switches,

add the VLAN 5 to two ports used for the trunk (the connection betwwen the switches) as tagged,

define the two ports (for the tap and for the sniffer) for VLAN ID 5 untagged, PVID 5. 

Now you have an independant VLAN for connecting the tap and the sniffer - almost like a dedicated cable.

Message 12 of 19
njguitarman
Aspirant

Apologies for any confusion.  Let me try again ...

Floor 0, I have a sniffer, and a mirror set up, and it works perfectly.

Floor 1, I have data that I want to get to the sniffer on Floor 0, so that data can be examined by the sniffer on floor 0.

Floor 0 works perfectly.  Mirror set up, works fine.  Sniffer set up, works fine.  Uplink to internet works fine.

Floor 1, same - everything is fine (can access floor 0 without issue).  Trying to get data to sniffer on floor 0 is the problem.

Does that help clarify?

Becuase the data is a FULL COPY of all network traffic (between wifi & cable modem), I need to isolate it, so only sniffer can see it, otherwise I get all sorts of CRC errors becuase other devices are trying to respond to it.

So, can I send a copy of all data from floor 1, to floor 0 for sniffer (via mirror port on floor 0) to inspect, without disturbing anything else?

I only have 1 cable between both routers (between floors).

Thank you.

Message 13 of 19
schumaku
Guru

The switch mirror port data can't be forwarded over the network - it's intended to be used locally.

I still don't understand now how the Datacom Tap and the description you have on your schema comes into the play - because it's 180° different from what you request now.

Message 14 of 19
njguitarman
Aspirant

I'm trying to get the data from the dualcomm from floor 1 to floor 0.

I already have a mirror / sniffer on floor 0.  Need this to inspect data from dualcomm from floor 1.

I don't think I have changed my description, but if I did, I'm sorry.  That is really the only goal.  Data from dualcomm on floor 1 to be inspected on floor 0.  How do I get that data to show up on a port on floor 0, so it can be inspected on floor 0?

Message 15 of 19
Nodism1125
NETGEAR Expert

Please read this thread. This will not work since the switch does not support RSPAN. 

RSPAN allows you to monitor traffic from source ports distributed over multiple switches, which means that you can centralize your network capture devices. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Smart-Plus-Click-Switches/GS724-forward-mirrored-port-traffic-to-an...

Message 16 of 19
njguitarman
Aspirant

okay.  thank you for providing access to that thread.  I guess case closed, unfortunately 😞

Thank you!

Message 17 of 19
schumaku
Guru

@njguitarman wrote:

I'm trying to get the data from the dualcomm from floor 1 to floor 0.

As I said - no need to configure any mirror ports. Create a VLAN and configure accordingly so you have a virtual "cable" from the Tap to the Sniffer. 

But we're looping here... also if you had high end managed switches with RSPAN this would not be required for your purpose - which is in brief replace a simple network cable from the Tap to the Sniffer.

Message 18 of 19
njguitarman
Aspirant

Thank you.  I appreicate your reply. 

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements