× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connecting 2 VLAN to exchange Files with GS752TPv2

Enzymhemmer
Initiate

Connecting 2 VLAN to exchange Files with GS752TPv2

Hello everyone,

i need your help with an issue i am having. We use a Draytek Router that creates 2 internal Vlans (1 & 2) with the IPs 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x

We use VLAN1 for the Servers, Offices and everyting important. VLAN2 is for Guests, Clients and our Internet Coffee place. VLAN2 just needs Internet.

=> We have the 2 VLANS just for security purposes to divide the 2 "Networks".

My Problem: I need an easy but secure way to exchange files between these 2 VLANs. e.g. Clients/Guests create files and want to have them printed.

I would like to have 1 PCs as an "Exchange"-Station that is reachable from both VLANs so that everyone can store and read files on this Exchange-Station. (We can wipe the station every night because of Data Protection)

VLAN1 uses 2 Netgear Switches and VLAN2 just 2 old unmanaged noname switches we had left over. (We are an NGO relying on sponsors => no money for good infrastructure)

I managed to create a VLAN on one Netgear Switch with just 2 Ports, one for the exchange-station and one for the connection to VLAN2. => The exchange station is successfully registered as 192.168.2.5 in VLAN2 even though it is connected to the VLAN1 Netgear switch.

Now i need to create the routing that 192.168.2.5 (exchange station) is also reachable from the 192.168.1.x VLAN.

(Or connect the echange station to VLAN1 and route all of VLAN2 over the connecting port to the exchange station (192.168.1.5))

I am not working with Tags right now. Since these 2 VLANs are not really connected everything is configured as untagged. It stopped working when i tried that. 😞

Please ask if anything is unclear.

Your help is appreciated. 🙂

Model: GS752TPv2|48-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Smart Managed Pro Switch with 4 SFP Ports (380W)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Enzymhemmer
Initiate

Hi DaneA, i have since found another solution to my problem. The Draytek Router can connect 2 VLANs so we created a third one and now this one is connected to the 2 separated ones. We can exchange files over a PC in VLAN3. This is ok for now and i wil lget back to this problem when we have to change something. Thank you though!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Enzymhemmer,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Kindly post an image of your detailed network setup showing how everything is connected. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
Enzymhemmer
Initiate

Hi DaneA, i have since found another solution to my problem. The Draytek Router can connect 2 VLANs so we created a third one and now this one is connected to the 2 separated ones. We can exchange files over a PC in VLAN3. This is ok for now and i wil lget back to this problem when we have to change something. Thank you though!
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements