× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DHCP Address reservations ignored?

keithelm
Follower

DHCP Address reservations ignored?

I'm working in an environment with a BR500 VPN Router and two GS408EPP switches.  The switches are both connected directly to the router (no intermediate devices), and the ports on both the router and two switches are configured with VLAN 1 (untagged), VLAN 100 (tagged), VLAN 200 (tagged).  The PVID of the ports is also 1 on both switches and the router.

When the switches are set to use DHCP, one switch gets an IP address out of the DHCP pool configured for VLAN 200, while the other switch got an IP address out of the LAN 1 DHCP pool.  I can't find anything different in the config between the two switches.  I was assuming that upon boot up the switch would send out its DHCP request as untagged packet, yet I don't consistently get an address from that pool.  On the chance that the switch was initially sending untagged DHCP request, I attempted to change the PVID of the port on the router but had no success in forcing allocation from the associated pool.  DHCP requests coming from a wireless client (e.g., WAC730) that use VLAN 100 or 200 are assigned addresses from the appropriate DHCP pool.

My original goal was to enable DHCP on the switches but to configure reserved IP addresses for them in the DHCP settings for VLAN 1.  If I can't control/force how the DHCP request is sent from the switch I may just resort to forcing static addresses.

Am I overlooking some setting that controls how the switch requests its own DHCP address (whether the packet is tagged or not)?

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: DHCP Address reservations ignored?

Hi @keithelm,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

My original goal was to enable DHCP on the switches but to configure reserved IP addresses for them in the DHCP settings for VLAN 1.  If I can't control/force how the DHCP request is sent from the switch I may just resort to forcing static addresses.

There is no option to control/force how the DHCP request is sent from the switch.  For me, it would be best to set a static IP address on the switches for ease of management.  

If you still want to set the switches as DHCP client and acquire the same IP address from the DHCP pool set on the BR500, kindly read pages 85-87 of the BR500 user manual here about Manage Reserved LAN IP addresses.  

Am I overlooking some setting that controls how the switch requests its own DHCP address (whether the packet is tagged or not)?

As I have mentioned above, there is no option or settings on the switch that controls how the switch requests its own DHCP address. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: DHCP Address reservations ignored?

Hi @keithelm,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

There is no option to control/force how the DHCP request is sent from the switch.  For me, it would be best to set a static IP address on the switches for ease of management.  

If you still want to set the switches as DHCP client and acquire the same IP address from the DHCP pool set on the BR500, kindly read pages 85-87 of the BR500 user manual here about Manage Reserved LAN IP addresses.  

As I have mentioned above, there is no option or settings on the switch that controls how the switch requests its own DHCP address. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements