× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extending PoE using a GS105PE switch

AMal
Aspirant

Extending PoE using a GS105PE switch

I have an IP birdbox camera on one end of a 40m cat5E cable with a PoE injector at the other end. I would like to add another IP camera near the first one.

The PoE injector has a label saying 48 volts, but the camera is 12 volt (so some voltage setting negotiation takes place).

Can I insert a GS105PE (at the camera end) and run the two cameras from it without an additional 40m cable for power? Must the two cameras operate on the same voltage?

Thanks, Alan

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
AMal
Aspirant

Re: Extending PoE using a GS105PE switch

Hi DaneA,

I just received this morning a GS105PE switch and a 30W 802.3at/af PoE Injector, and I am convinced that this will be a good solution.

Thanks for your help.

Alan

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi AMal,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Kindly answer the questions below:

a. The GS105PE is a PoE passthrough switch which can only be powered by PoE.  Since your PoE injector will be the PSE (Power Source Equipment) for the GS105PE, can it give power within the 802.3at standard?  It would be best if you could post the specifications of your PoE injector. 

b. What is the PoE class of your two IP birdbox cameras?  It would be best if you could post the power specifications of the two IP birdbox cameras. 

To know more about the GS105PE switch, kindly read the articles below:

GS105PE FAQs

GS105PE: PoE troubleshooting

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 8
AMal
Aspirant

Thank you DaneA.

This clearly a little more complex than I expected.

To answer your question:

My first camera has the following specification:

Imaging Chip: 1/3" Low light CMOS
Sensor Resolution: 1280x960p
Sensitivity: 0.5Lux (IR off), 0Lux (IR On)
Main Stream Resolution: 1280x960 @15fps, 720p @25fps
Sub Stream Resolution: 4CIF @15fps, CIF @25fps
Video Compression: H.264
DWDR: On/Off
3D DNR: YEs
Lens: 2.8mm
Field of View: 92°
Lens Mount: Board
Day & Night: Auto ICR switch
Configuration: Via web browser or CMS software
Recording: Continuous, Motion, Scheduled (via CMS)
Protocol: HTTP, TCP/IP, ARP, RTSP, RTP, UDP, SMTP, FTP, DHCP, DNS, DDNS, PPPOE, UPNP, NTP, 802.1x
Ethernet: 10/100 Base-T, Auto-sensing, Half/full duplex, RJ45
PoE: IEEE 802.3af compliant
Power Input: 12V DC or PoE
Power Consumption: 6W (Max)
Dimensions: 60x60x110mm
Operational Temperature: -20°c to +55°c
Humidity: 10-80%

I guess the relevant information is that it is 802.3af compliant with a max power consumption of 6W.

The PoE injector was supplied with the camera. Its claimed output is 48 volts at 0.3amp. I have no other spec, but presume it is 802.3af compliant as it was supplied with the camera.

I haven't yet bought a second camera, but need to be sure it will work as a pair with the GS105PE.

Do you think I might need to get a different PoE Injector for more power?

Thanks, Alan

Message 3 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@AMal,

Based on the power consumption of the IP birdbox camera you have, it is a PoE class 2 device.  Since you will be connecting two IP birdbox cameras (which are PoE class 2 devices) directly to the GS105PE switch, it should be powered on by an 802.3at compliant PoE injector in order to give power simultaneously through its ports 1 and 2. 

You may want to also check on the GS110TP switch.  This switch has 8 PoE ports that complies with the IEEE802.3af standard.  I'm sure the two IP birdbox cameras can be powered up simultaneously through this switch.  This switch can only be powered on using a power adapter that comes with the package.  For more information about the GS110TP switch, kindly check its data sheet here.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 8
AMal
Aspirant

Thanks again DaneA.

Unfortunately I cannot take advantage of the GS110TP switch as it would involve extra cabling to supply mains to the switch (or two ethernet cables).

Both options are impractical in my situation.

However I have identified a 802.3at injector that might enable me tp use the GS105PE to support two cameras.

Its spec is shown here. https://www.wifi-antennas.co.uk/gigabit-802-3at-af-poe-injector-30w-4866.html?gclid=CKer0JSU5dICFW4B...

I believe Netgear neith supply or recommend PoE injectors.

Thanks, Alan

Message 5 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@AMal,

Yes, NETGEAR does not have any PoE injector products.  However, it is mentioned in this article that the GS105PE can be powered on by a PoE injector.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@AMal,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Let us know if you have further questions. 🙂 

Otherwise, if ever your concern has been addressed, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 8
AMal
Aspirant

Hi DaneA,

I just received this morning a GS105PE switch and a 30W 802.3at/af PoE Injector, and I am convinced that this will be a good solution.

Thanks for your help.

Alan

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements