× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware Upgrade TFTP Timeout

JeffSch
Tutor

Firmware Upgrade TFTP Timeout

I'm unable to compete the firmware upgrade 1.6.0.4.   Currently have version 1.0

I receive a TFTP Time out error when trying to update.

I have downloaded and installed the Pro Safe Utility ver. 2.7.7.   I'm running Win 10.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jeff

Model: GSS108E|ProSafe 8 ports gigabits Click switch
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
JeffSch
Tutor

Re: Firmware Upgrade TFTP Timeout

Success!!!

Had to disable firewall and security apps.   Thanks for the support.

View solution in original post

Model: GS108E|8 ports ProSafe Plus switch
Message 5 of 9

All Replies
msi
Luminary
Luminary

TFTP in general is an unreliable protocol (uses UDP). Whenever other protocols like SFTP, SCP or even unencrypted FTP is available I usually prefer them over TFTP.

I've attempted updating the firmware on a GS110TP over TFTP but also ran into timeouts. I've then used the Pro Safe utility available for the switch model. If the given utility version supports your switch and version of Windows, you should be able to send the firmware updater (STK file) using the utility instead. As far as I remember the utility needs you to be on the same subnet to discover the switch.

Message 2 of 9
JeffSch
Tutor

Thanks for the reply, how do I change the protocol?   As far as I can tell the Pro Safe Utility supports my switch.

I'm able to find the switch using the utility so I assume its supported.   Do I need to be connected directly with the switch or can the update be performed by Wifi?

Fyi, I have been attempting the update while directly connected.

Message 3 of 9
msi
Luminary
Luminary

Just in order to understand you correctly: Did you try launching TFTP update over the web interface or the utility? AFAIR the Utility cannot use "another" protocol as it connects over its own way/protocol to a switch. If it can find the switch and connect to it, there is a chance it does support it.

For comparison: I had issues launching and completing TFTP update by sending the update commend Web UI using a GS110TP, it did however work when I connected and then update the firmware using the Netgear utility and then uploaded the firmware using the utility. It was very slow but ended up working.

Overall I'd try being connected to the switch over wire but that's a generic recommendation for all updates since the chance of being disconnected during an update is lower than on wireless.

Message 4 of 9
JeffSch
Tutor

Success!!!

Had to disable firewall and security apps.   Thanks for the support.

Model: GS108E|8 ports ProSafe Plus switch
Message 5 of 9
Johnkin
Aspirant

I had this issue with a Gs108e v3 switch, even after switching off the firewall I still couldn't upgrade it using the ProSAFE Plus App.ri

However when I connected to th switch using Chrome via the web interface it updated fine.

I was using the latest version of Pro SAFE plus and I upgraded the switch from 2.06.18 to 2.06.24 which is the latest at time of writing.

Message 6 of 9
schumaku
Guru

The ProSafe Plus Utility  is obsolete (End-of-life) and should - leaving a few exceptions aside where no Web UI is available, or if guided by support to update e.g. the boot loader - no longer be used. Note: This utility was removed from the User Manuals a longer time ago already. Preferred way is to use the Web UI all over. By default, the protocol used by the utility is no longer active, except for the pure discovery.

An no: The problem isn't caused by the fact the ttfp is udp based. 

Message 7 of 9
Paul101han
Aspirant

But how can you find the IP of the switch you want to access if using just the web UI? Please keep the explanation simple as I’m very new to all this and everything I’ve read so far when seeking help assumes that the user invented string theory, in fluent Klingon.
Message 8 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@Paul101han wrote:
But how can you find the IP of the switch

Start with the NETGEAR Switch Discovery Tool (NSDT) ...

@Paul101han wrote:
you want to access if using just the web UI?

Once you know the switch LAN IP address you might have to put the computer network adapter to the an address of the matching IP subnet in case there was not DHCP server active when the switch was started. Or better quick y power off the switch and  on again when connected to your home router LAN IP subnet.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements