× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware download GSS116E only shows Prosafe Plus config utility - V2

Eaglehawk
Apprentice

Firmware download GSS116E only shows Prosafe Plus config utility - V2

Does anyone know why the 1.0.0.5 firmware has been removed from the downloads section of the GSS116E?

Model: GSS116E|ProSAFE 16-port Gigabit Click Switch
Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Eaglehawk,

I believe the engineering team have already fixed the problem that is why GSS116E firmware v1.0.0.6 and v1.0.0.5 are up again on the GSS116E download page.  Kindly read their release notes respectively on the links below:

GSS116E Firmware Version 1.0.0.6

GSS116E Firmware Version 1.0.0.5

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 20

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Eaglehawk,

The firmware 1.0.0.5 for GSS116E has been removed due to bugs. NETGEAR will be releasing a new firmware but we still don't have any ETA yet.

Regards,

Message 2 of 20
Eaglehawk
Apprentice

Thanks for the update John. Hope a new bug free firmware appears soon.

Message 3 of 20
tthurman
Tutor

Is it possible to re-up v1.0.0.2 ?

I've had nothing but problems since upgrading to 1.0.0.5, using this switch with it's current firmware is unbearably buggy.

Model: GS116E|ProSAFE Plus 16-port Gigabit Switch
Message 4 of 20
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@tthurman,

I inquired this to the higher tier of NETGEAR Support and just got a feedback.  As per the higher tier of NETGEAR Support, a fix is being worked on and as soon as the fix is available, the firmwares will be posted to the GSS116E support page again.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 20
tthurman
Tutor

Hopefully it will address some of these crazy bugs.  This switch can no longer pass local remote desktop traffic dependably, which has been a rudimentary task for ages now.  I'm talking about simple explorer windows turning into random unrecognizable characters during transition, not sound or anything of that nature (default windows sounds that is, which it also cannot do without tons of static).  This is from one modern intel NIC to another too (I219V to 1210-T1).  A local gig connection should handle this with ease.

Message 6 of 20
Eaglehawk
Apprentice

Wow, that's a crazy bug. I don't have this (or any other) issues. Would be nice to know what the bugs were 🙂

Message 7 of 20
tthurman
Tutor

DaneA,

I got your message about the new firmware, but this is for an entirely different switch.  Regardless, I thought perhaps there was some overlap with these two products.  I'm using the latest prosafe utility, and it fails upon pointing to this firmware.

tthurman

Begin message

Hi tthurman,

DaneA (NETGEAR Moderator) mentioned you in a post! Join the conversation below:

@tthurman / @Eaglehawk,

Firmware/s for the GSS116E switch can now be downloaded again.  Kindly check this page.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 20
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@tthurman,

My bad. 😞  I apologize for that.  I already removed that response on this forum thread.  Just ignore it. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 20
Mickatroid
Aspirant

This is still hopeless.  The page in the download centre still contains no firmware. The Security Advisory still says to go and download it.  The firmware linked above is not for the GSS116E the OP enquired about (its name suggests it, my switch bouncing it confirmed it).

Message 10 of 20
Eaglehawk
Apprentice

Perhaps tthurman could edit their post and remove the message that was sent _privately_ to the two of us. It's now confusing everyone...

Message 11 of 20
Mickatroid
Aspirant

That would help yes, I am not used to this forums software either, don't know how I missed that someone else had already tried the linked firmware.

Still though, the problem is that there is no firmware and a three month old security advisory that says I need to install it.

Message 12 of 20
tthurman
Tutor

There was no private message, it was just an email generated to alert a reply to the thread had been made.  DaneA says to ingnore it just a few posts up......

Perahaps Netgear should release a bug free firmware.

Message 13 of 20
Mickatroid
Aspirant

I would be happy enough with a slightly buggy one that at least addressed the exploit that I was urgently warned about by Netgear.
Message 14 of 20
tthurman
Tutor

The email I got concerning an urgent update was in regard to an exploit in the ProSafe Plus Utility, not the firmware.  It's concerning you got an alert concerning the firmware, while some of us apparently did not.

Version 1.0.0.5 is extremely buggy,  I immediately started experiencing problems after upgrading.  I don't think you want any part of it!  I've had old 10/100 hubs that switch packets more effiecntly then this switch running this firmware.

1.0.0.2 was far more reliable.

Message 15 of 20
Mickatroid
Aspirant

The alert is linked to in my post above. 

I guess I just need to wait. My experience is that Netgear get there in the end which is why I use nothing else. I am, at least, not on the ...5 firmware. Sounds terrible. 

Message 16 of 20
Eaglehawk
Apprentice

I must have posted the incorrect title, but I have now noticed that the 1.0.0.6 firmware is now available again. (Which I installed back in July)

Any reason why it's suddenly back?

On a side note, both of my ClickSwitches "lost" their DHCP leases and defaulted to 192.168.0.239, I had to disable/renable the DHCP setting to pick up and IP address again...

Message 17 of 20
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Eaglehawk,

I believe the engineering team have already fixed the problem that is why GSS116E firmware v1.0.0.6 and v1.0.0.5 are up again on the GSS116E download page.  Kindly read their release notes respectively on the links below:

GSS116E Firmware Version 1.0.0.6

GSS116E Firmware Version 1.0.0.5

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 18 of 20
Mickatroid
Aspirant

Thanks for this, have updated my switch from 1.0.0.0.  The Release Notes say:

• There was an issue with v1.0.0.0. VLANs and Link Aggression stop working when GSS116E is booted up and when firmware is being upgraded from v1.0.0.0. The issue is fixed in v1.0.0.2 or newer versions

I wasn't sure if it necessarily applied to me (I was going to 1.0.0.6 which is a 'newer version').  However, it went a bit further than the update wrecking my LAG: Trying to upload the 1.0.6 firmware over LAG failed to even update the firmware.  I had to break the LAG to get the update to work.  I then did the bootloader as per the release notes.

The release notes are otherwise great.  When I couldn't go from 1.0.0.0 over the web UI and read the notes it was clear I had to use the prosafe utility.

Message 19 of 20
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Mickatroid,

Thanks for sharing. 🙂   

@Eaglehawk / @tthurman / @Mickatroid,

Let us know if you have further inquiries about the firmware of the GSS116E switch.  Otherwise, if ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements