× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS105Ev2 Blank Admin Page

DoctorWizard
Aspirant

GS105Ev2 Blank Admin Page

I'm a fan of Netgear, have a bunch of Netgear routers and switches and am quite familiar with them.  I was excited to find a GS105Ev2 at a thrift store for a mere $3.  Not knowing from where it originated, the first thing I did was a factory reset.  But I cannot get into the management/administration page however.

The Switch Discovery tool finds it, and it can correctly query the model, serial number (4HN...83E), mac, ip, firmware version (V5.4.0.3), etc.  The initial IP after the factory reset was of course 192.168.0.239.  Using the ProSAFE Config Util I was able to change the IP address to match my LAN (10.3.15.x).  I can ping it, it shows up in an arp listing, and in my network scanner.  It is switching network traffic as it should.  But as I said above, I cannot get to the management/administration page.  I've tried Chrome, Firefox and IE under Windows 10, and Firefox and Chromium under Linux on multiple computers.  In the config util, the System, VLAN, and QoS tabs are grayed out (but they're also grayed out for my other ProSAFE switches).
A couple of clues: The firmware is reporting V5.4.0.3 but the last version under support-downloads is 1.6.0.6.  Also, I am unable to register it using it's serial number which I have triple verified to be correct.
I have noticed Netgear has issued some special versions of their products to particular customers.  Perhaps this might be one?  Is there a way to flash the firmware back to the public consumer version 1.6.0.6?  (I have the technical skills to connect a USB to Serial adapter to the internal J1 connector and run an uploader script/program if necessary)

Model: GS105Ev2|ProSafe Plus 5 ports switch
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS105Ev2 Blank Admin Page

The switch as you bought it is _not_ a Netgear version as sold and marketed with the GS105Ev2 (GS105E-200NAS) - it's coming from some batches intended for an OEM, and has no Web UI (and probably other restrictions) and might be labeled as GS105E-2A1NAS.

It's possible to change the firmware to the standard Netgear one uing the (obsolete, but OK for this purpose) Netgear ProSafe Plus Configuration Utility (available for Windows only I'm afraid).

This was discussed e.g. here https://community.netgear.com/t5/Managed-Switches/GS105Ev2-FW-reads-v5-4-0-3/m-p/1562266/highlight/t... and several times again since - Google is your friend.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

The switch as you bought it is _not_ a Netgear version as sold and marketed with the GS105Ev2 (GS105E-200NAS) - it's coming from some batches intended for an OEM, and has no Web UI (and probably other restrictions) and might be labeled as GS105E-2A1NAS.

It's possible to change the firmware to the standard Netgear one uing the (obsolete, but OK for this purpose) Netgear ProSafe Plus Configuration Utility (available for Windows only I'm afraid).

This was discussed e.g. here https://community.netgear.com/t5/Managed-Switches/GS105Ev2-FW-reads-v5-4-0-3/m-p/1562266/highlight/t... and several times again since - Google is your friend.

Message 2 of 4
DoctorWizard
Aspirant

Thanks @schumaku I did end up finding that post on a subsequent search.  I think it was including the weird version number that finally got it to show up in a search, that post had not come up in several previous searches.  The secret to searching is having the right keywords but you don't always know ahead of time what they are!

Then I had to figure out how to upload the regular firmware using the ProSAFE config utility.  It was not obvious / non-intuitive that I had to select the switch, then click the Apply button to enable the other functions in the util.  (BAD software design!!).

I should also note that NOWHERE on the switch is a "-2A1NAS" on any of the labels or any other visible clues that this might not be a standard version of the GS105.  I think when Netgear makes a special OEM version for someone they should make that clear on the label.
This might be why I found it at the Thrift store so cheap!

Just curious-- who were these produced for?

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Don't blame the messenger - I'm more than happy you haven't told us you only have a Mac!

The utility is effectively EoL, nice we still have it available from Netgear*, and last but not least it's "design" is based on a utility made for Windows 3.11 or XP from two-plus decades ago designated for Netgear's very early switch models.

In case you are interested, there is a fine up2date documentation available along with the ProSafe Plus Utility -> Downloads .... as NETGEAR ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility User Manual with a two page step-by-step on "Upgrade the Firmware" on p.40/41.

*It's still required to upgrade bootloaders on some products still available from the distributor/retailer shelves before current firmware can be uploaded btw.

Be happy with your USD 3 grab table switch 8-)

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements