× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS105Ev2 Firmware Update will not go into Bootloader Upgrade mode

Stev3D
Luminary

GS105Ev2 Firmware Update will not go into Bootloader Upgrade mode

I noticed that the device's firmware was still at v1.4.0.5 and the Bootloader was (not surprisingly) v1.4.0.5-VB , and went to the product's Downloads list, saw that v1.6.0.3 was the current firmware version.

So I followed the simple procedure provided

https://kb.netgear.com/000060282/GS105Ev2-Firmware-Version-1-6-0-3

The firmware update was accepted, updated, it rebooted, and once I logged back into the devices, instead of it presenting me with the Bootloader Upgrade page, as described in Step 9:

9. When login to the switch, it will go to Bootloader Upgrade page.

I was back to the normal Switch Information page -- which showed the Firmware version was in fact updated, but the Bootloader was still at v1.4.

I tried again, and no change (Einstein's defintion of insanity?).  I looked around and found that there was a Bootloader bundled with the v1.5.0.4 firmware update, so I attempted that "upgradde."  The instructions were the same -- Step 9 should have brought me into the Bootloader Upgrade page.  But it didn't.  So I went back to firmware v1.6.0.3.

Is there a way to force the device to present the Bootloader Upgrade page?  Otherwise, I'm stuck.

Model: GS105Ev2|ProSAFE Plus 5-port Switch
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Peter-K2
Guide

Re: GS105Ev2 Firmware Update will not go into Bootloader Upgrade mode

You are not seeing the bootloader update page because firmware knows you already have the latest bootloader. Latest bootloader version is 1.4.0.5

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Stev3D,

You may try to go directly in the bootloader page. Please try this http://x.x.x.x/loader_upg.htm (x.x.x.x represents your GS105E’s IP address).

Regards,

Message 2 of 8
Stev3D
Luminary

Thank you, JohnCarloV , for the suggestion.  I wish it had worked.

I tried the URL you provided (obviously replacing "X.X.X." with the approriate IPv4 address) and after authenticating, I was brought to the normal "Switch Information" page.  I postulated that the authentication step is hard-coded to coming to that default page -- so I tried to reach the the "/loader_upg.htm" page again multiple ways, including pasting that URL into a new tab, and simply replacing "login.cgi" text in the address bar with "loader_upg.htm" -- and in every case, I got a completely blank page.

I also tried it using a completely different Web browser (one stripped-down with no add-ons, blocking, etc -- which I use for diagnostics), and the results were identical: A completely blank page.

I have tried software reboots, and power-cycling -- no change.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you.

Message 3 of 8
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@Stev3D,

May you be able to try updating the firmware using the Prosafe Plus Utility? It seems that it did worked on this thread.

Regards,

Message 4 of 8
Stev3D
Luminary

JohnCarloV , I tried that.  Unfortunately, ProSafe is a Windows-only utility, and the only Windows I have is a seldom-used VM which NATs through the host OS.  Becasue of the NATing, ProSafe can't find the switch.  When I attempt to connect the VM directly (bridge through the host OS, getting a valid network configuration via DHCP), I lose all network connectivity on the VM.  I'm not sure why -- I tried everythign I could think of (can't even ping on the local LAN).  

It would sure be nice if the platofrm-agnostic Web interface worked correctly.  Any other suggestions?
Message 5 of 8
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@Stev3D,

Unfortunately, it is the last option that we need to try in order for you to update the boot loader of your switch.

Regards,

Message 6 of 8
Peter-K2
Guide

You are not seeing the bootloader update page because firmware knows you already have the latest bootloader. Latest bootloader version is 1.4.0.5

Message 7 of 8
Stev3D
Luminary

@Peter-K2 , thank you.  It is embarassing that it was something so trivial.  I was unable to find any clar documentation or indication to that effect

@Peter-K2 wrote:

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements