× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS105Ev2 - IP address after power outage

jakew8
Follower

GS105Ev2 - IP address after power outage

My router is set to assign my GS105Ev2 switch a specific IP address through DHCP.  My setup is at home, so sometimes we have a power outage.  When power is restored, all devices restart at the same time.  Apparently my switch starts up more quickly than my router.

The result is that when the switch starts up, the router's DHCP server isn't back up yet, so the switch defaults to 192.168.0.239, which I don't want.  I then have to cycle the power to the switch (read: crawl under the desk to unplug it and restart it), after which it will see the by now up-and-running DHCP server and use the DHCP-assigned IP address.

My suggestion: a feature where the switch will wait for a number of seconds after powering before looking for a DHCP server.  Could be in a future firmware update.

Any other suggestions?  Thanks.

Model: GS105Ev2|ProSafe Plus 5 ports switch
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi jakew8,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

It would be better if you will just set a static IP to your switch so that once it boots up, it will automatically stay connected. You may use the Prosafe Plus Utility in order to set it to static IP.

Regards,

JohnCarloV

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi jakew8,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

It would be better if you will just set a static IP to your switch so that once it boots up, it will automatically stay connected. You may use the Prosafe Plus Utility in order to set it to static IP.

Regards,

JohnCarloV

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements