× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS105Ev2 does not DHCP or display web admin page

Engstrom
Guide

GS105Ev2 does not DHCP or display web admin page

I just received my 2 GS105Ev2 switches yesterday and was excited to get the VLANs configured to support my home network.

I have an Apple Airport Extreme 6th generation router and a late 2014 iMac that I was using to try and configure the switches.  I downloaded the Netgear Switch Discovery Tool app to my iMac and installed it.

For the first attempt at configuring it I turned off WiFi on the Imac, plugged an ethernet cable into the iMac's ethernet port and plugged the other end of the cable into the first port of one of the GS105Ev2 switches.  Then I powered up the switch and manually configured the IP address of my iMac to 192.168.0.5 and the netmask to 255.255.255.0.  After a couple minutes I ran the Switch Discovery Tool against the ethernet interface and it found the switch at IP 192.168.0.239 as you would expect.  I was able to ping that address.  I then pointed my Safari browser to http://192.168.0.239 and get a blank page.  Huh.  So I tried in Firefox with the same result.  I waited another couple minutes thinking the web server on the switch might take a while to come up but still got blank pages from both Firefox and Safari.

Next I powered down the switch, plugged it into a LAN port on my Airport Extreme router which was configured to server DHCP addresses in the 10.0.x.x range, and then powered it up again. I turned WiFi back on the iMac and disconnected/disabled the ethernet port.  My iMac, as expected, got a 10.0.x.x adress DHCPed to it from the router.  I ran the Switch Discovery Tool again and it once again found the GS105Ev2 switch but it displayed the address as 192.168.0.239 again.  Once again I waited 10+ minutes and reran the Switch Discocery Tool only to get the same 192.168.0.239 results.  So I disconnected the switch, powered it down, reconfigured the router to DHCP in the 192.168.0 range, reaquired a DHCP for the iMac (correctly in the 192.168.0.x range), plugged the switch back into the router LAN port and then powered up the switch.  After several minutes of waiting for it to boot I reran the Switch Discovery Tool and, as expected, it showed 192.168.0.239 as the address.  I was, once again, able to ping 192.168.0.239 from my iMac but both Safari and Firefox presented empty pages.

OK, maybe I got hold of a bad switch.  It happens.  So I tried all of the above again on the 2nd switch and got exactly the same results - the switch would not DHCP itself an address and it would not present a web admin page.

Any suggestions for what I might try?  I don't have a Windows box at home so I can't run the ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility.

Model: GS105Ev2|ProSafe Plus 5 ports switch
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

@Engstrom wrote:

Firmware is identified as 5.4.0.3

Ha, interesting, indeed: Where have you bought these switches from? You should return these to the seller!

"GS105E-2A1NAS it´s a customer specific SKU that comes with a specific firmware configuration and it´s not available in our official retail or distribution channels."

FMI ... https://community.netgear.com/t5/Managed-Switches/GS105Ev2-FW-reads-v5-4-0-3/m-p/1561416

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Strange, operating many different Smart Managed Plus (and Pro) switches, all Web UI render nicely on MacOS/Safari/Firefox. Any Internet "Security" software potentially interfering with the (not very challenging) Java Script code?

What current installed firmware version is detected by the Switch Discovery Utility? 

There was a longer time ago (several years) a problem with some Smart Managed Pro devices, which defaulted for sending the DHCP discovery on the subnet instead of 0.0.0.0 so many DHCP servers failed to assign IP addresses outside of the subnet. Not aware of anything the like recently.

Message 2 of 9
Engstrom
Guide

Interesting.

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 3.07.59 PM.png

Also interesting is I can ping the switch but when I did a wget to it I was able to connect to the webserver on the switch but got a 404 response from the web server.  Is there something apart from the ip address for the URL to the admin page on the switch?

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 3.20.48 PM.png

Message 3 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@Engstrom wrote:

Ha, interesting, indeed: Where have you bought these switches from? You should return these to the seller!

"GS105E-2A1NAS it´s a customer specific SKU that comes with a specific firmware configuration and it´s not available in our official retail or distribution channels."

FMI ... https://community.netgear.com/t5/Managed-Switches/GS105Ev2-FW-reads-v5-4-0-3/m-p/1561416

Message 4 of 9
Engstrom
Guide

Ahhhh, that would explain it.  Yeah, I bought the switches off Amazon.  So my question is can I get hold of a Windows computer (available at work) and use the ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility to load the latest retail firmware 1.6.0.4 and have it behave like a normal retail GS105Ev2 switch?

Message 5 of 9
schumaku
Guru

From reading the other thread - yes.

Message 6 of 9
Engstrom
Guide

Thanks - I'll give that a try.  I appreciate the help and the reference to the other thread.

Message 7 of 9
Engstrom
Guide

Just to wrap this up with a bow, I upgraded the firmware on both my GS105Ev2 switches using ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility on a Windows box and got my web configuration server working on both switches.

Message 8 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Excellent, thank you for the feedback @Engstrom

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements