× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS105Ev2 firmware fails

JohndelStino
Guide

GS105Ev2 firmware fails

Today I started working with my brand new GS105Ev2 switch (I already have a GS108Tv2).

Out of the box I discovered there was a firmware update available for the unit; version 1.4.0.9. (The stock unit was firmware 1.4.0.6). At this point I only changed the default IP.

Apparently this unit has to be updated through TFTP.. annoying, but ok. I fired up the TFTP server, let the switch acquire the correct firmware file. The switch reboots.. and... it came back at the default IP (192.168.0.239).
The webserver presents a simple page with a menu "Firmware Upgrade" and "Reboot". Under "Firmware Upgrade" it shows two boxes "TFTP Server IP address" and "Image File Name". So it seems this is a boatloader management page to recover a failed firmware.
So I fire up the TFTP server again; result: "Firmware is upgraded successfully. Please wait for the switch to finish rebooting with new firmware."

The switch reboots... and again; the bootlader page on the default IP. What the heck is going on?
I've tried the older firmware version (1.4.0.6), I've tried different TFTP servers. Nothing seems to work.

Model: GS105Ev2|ProSAFE Plus 5-port Switch
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
JohndelStino
Guide

Hello DaneA,

Thanks for your reply! 

The ProSafe Utility saved the day.

However, because the switch loaded into recovery mode and not the normal firmware the procedure described in the manual (pages 65-66) did not work.

I did discover that in this situation if you click "Apply" you get the option to push new firmware to the switch. If the switch started up with the regular firmware you get a login prompt instead.

Apparently the ProSafe Utility uses a different method of delivering the firmware to the switch because the TFTP server port was still in use on my PC because of the TFTP server which was still running.

Anyway, it seems there is an issue with the TFTP procedure.

I've used TFTP fairly regular with loading IOS images on Cisco ISR routers, but this is the first time something has gone wrong.

Happy New Year!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi JohndelStino,

Upgrading the firmware using TFTP when it displays "Enter Loaded Mode" is mentioned on page 64-65 of the ProSAFE Gigabit Web Managed (Plus) Switches user manual here.  Kindly read it. 

If ever upgrading the firmware using TFTP doesn't work for you, kindly try to upgrade the firmware using the ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility.  Kindly follow the steps on pages 65-66 of the ProSAFE Gigabit Web Managed (Plus) Switches user manual here.  You may download the latest ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility v2.3.25 here.  

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
JohndelStino
Guide

Hello DaneA,

Thanks for your reply! 

The ProSafe Utility saved the day.

However, because the switch loaded into recovery mode and not the normal firmware the procedure described in the manual (pages 65-66) did not work.

I did discover that in this situation if you click "Apply" you get the option to push new firmware to the switch. If the switch started up with the regular firmware you get a login prompt instead.

Apparently the ProSafe Utility uses a different method of delivering the firmware to the switch because the TFTP server port was still in use on my PC because of the TFTP server which was still running.

Anyway, it seems there is an issue with the TFTP procedure.

I've used TFTP fairly regular with loading IOS images on Cisco ISR routers, but this is the first time something has gone wrong.

Happy New Year!

Message 3 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@JohndelStino,

You're welcome! 🙂  I am glad that you were able to upgrade the firmware of the switch using the ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility.  🙂 

Feel free to post your future concerns here in the community.

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements