× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS105Ev2 firmwareupdate fails

Frank_Borrmann
Follower

GS105Ev2 firmwareupdate fails

Hi,

updated from 1.x till 1.4.0.9 worked well. I'm very cautious so i didn't make large steps, only one after another.

But the last one fpr 1.5.0.4 does not work.

I strictly followed this upgrade procedure below: first of all, HTTP-Upload is not right, that little machine wants a TFTP-Server! 

Upgrade Procedure:

1. Download the new firmware 1.5.0.4 from NETGEAR product support Website and store it in local PC, and remember its location in the PC’s file system. Unzip it to get the switch firmware image “GS105Ev2_V1.5.0.4.bin”.

Download Link: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/GS105EV2/GS105Ev2_V1.5.0.4.zip

2. There are two methods to upgrade the new firmware from PC to the switch.
    • HTTP
    • ProSAFE Plus Utility

Below are the steps to upgrade the firmware via HTTP, which is the most convenient method. For the other method, please check the IG and SW User Manual for details.

3. To use HTTP method, go to GUI page “Maintenance > Firmware Upgrade".
  4. Click Enter Loader Mode button and it will go to Firmware Upgrade page.
  5. Click the Browse button and locate and select the new firmware image file “GS105Ev2_V1.5.0.4.bin”.
  6. Click the Apply button.
  7. When the upgrade is complete, your switch restarts. The upgrade process typically takes about three minutes.
  8. Once FW upgrading completes, please login to switch by web GUI to upgrade boot loader.
  9. When login to the switch, it will go to Bootloader Upgrade page.
  10. It will show which boot loader version you should use and click Browse button and locate and select the correct boot loader version and click APPLY.
  11. Once boot loader upgrading is complete, the switch will go back to login page.  

It works only till step 9, the firmware was installed an the switch rebooted from himself. 

Now it uses the standard-IP 192.168.0.239.

The procedure now says, it want to have a new loader file. I have two of them in the downloaded zip, but none of them is right for it. For both it says something like they they are corrupt.

Step 10 never comes, you will have to try yourself?

Now i had managed to come back to 1.4.0.9 and it works again.

But what is wrong with that 1.5.0.4 file and procedure?

Any hints appreciated.

Frank

Model: GS105Ev2|ProSAFE Plus 5-port Switch
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
matsube
Aspirant

Re: GS105Ev2 firmwareupdate fails

Hi,

Just bought the GS105Ev2 and ended up here after looking how to update firmware and bootloader too as it seems to be tricky.

I ended up finding that the latest firmware package available on Netgear website (1.5.0.5) doesn't contain bootloader update nor allows to update it. But firmware package 1.5.0.4 does !

So to simply update firmware and bootloader to the latest versions:

- Update firmware with 1.5.0.4 with ProSafe Plus / reboot

- Connect to GS105Ev2 web gui, it will ask to update booloader, provide the bootloader update requested and contained in the package, it's GS105PE_loader_V1.4.0.5-VB.bin in my case / reboot

- Update firmware with 1.5.0.5 with ProSafe Plus or web gui / reboot

Et voilà

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
XavierLL
NETGEAR Employee Retired

HI Frank_Borman

Welcome to our community!

Seems as an issue in the browser that blocks the redirect to the loader page, could you try on step 9 to :

Type http://x.x.x.x/loader_upg.htm (x.x.x.x represents your GS105E’s IP address)

And see upload the bootloader so the firmware upgrade is complete.

Hope it helps!

Xavier Lleixa

NETGEAR CBU PLM

Message 2 of 7
pchood
Guide

Should this work on the GS105PE? I upgraded the frimware on 2 of mine but I didn't get the bootloader options and its running the old bootloader? They seem to be working, what issues does the wrong bootloader verision cause?

Model: GS105PE|ProSAFE Plus 5-port Switch with PoE pass through
Message 3 of 7
pchood
Guide

I should have been more clear on my last post, I did try the /loader_upg.htm but it does not load a web page.

Message 4 of 7
vdmcobus
Aspirant

Hi,

I am also experiencing problems with the FW upgrade. On mine the bootloader page came up, but it gave me and error when it tried to download the bootloader FW. I tried it a couple of times. I then decide to downgrade it to the previous version, and I now have a brick. I have tried TFTP to connect to it but without any luck.

Model: GS105Ev2|ProSAFE Plus 5-port Switch
Message 5 of 7
pchood
Guide

I was never able to update the boot-loader. But so far they are still running. Hoping if the power ever flashes they will turn back on ok. Let me know if Netgear ever has any advice for this situation.

Message 6 of 7
matsube
Aspirant

Hi,

Just bought the GS105Ev2 and ended up here after looking how to update firmware and bootloader too as it seems to be tricky.

I ended up finding that the latest firmware package available on Netgear website (1.5.0.5) doesn't contain bootloader update nor allows to update it. But firmware package 1.5.0.4 does !

So to simply update firmware and bootloader to the latest versions:

- Update firmware with 1.5.0.4 with ProSafe Plus / reboot

- Connect to GS105Ev2 web gui, it will ask to update booloader, provide the bootloader update requested and contained in the package, it's GS105PE_loader_V1.4.0.5-VB.bin in my case / reboot

- Update firmware with 1.5.0.5 with ProSafe Plus or web gui / reboot

Et voilà

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements