× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS105Ev2 password setting limitations

CTGriffin
Aspirant

GS105Ev2 password setting limitations

New managed switch purchase to help with network infrastructure, so I am not new to networking equipment, but what I encountered has to rank about a 9/10 of obfusticatedly horrible user interface experience when attempting to change the default administrator password on this cute little beasty.  Nice default admin/password  ... original... I like it...  but more to the point:  

I typically autogenerate strong passwords via Safari and that updates my Keychain of passwords of my electronic pets.  This has worked seemlessly until my encounter with the GS105Ev2, whereby it took the input and upon click of the SAVE button nothing happened.  Like nothing.  No dialog box.  No warning of invalid password.  No clues to improper input.  Nothing.   Okee dokee.   Being concerned that I might be locked out I check my Keychain and it was smart enough to know that nothing happened and I simply logged back in with that really safe admin/password combination and tried to figure out the limitations of this password change.  So, admin/foo works and gives a successful dialog box.   Yippee I am so secure with a three character password!!!!  No warnings of me being a dip$h1T for using such a short password.  Okee dokee...  I change it again to admin/cat ... works like a champ!!!  Yippee!!!!!!   Feeling more secure already.   Try a random alpha-numeric sequence with no special characters and find the only sequence that works is 11 characters or less.  Not 12.  You get no warnings of invalid input so long as both fields match.  Holy $h!T8all$ dudes!!! What is wrong with you????   Did I miss something in the documentation?  I love to RTFM this mother...  

Thanks in advance,

Christopher

Model: GS105Ev2|ProSafe Plus 5 ports switch
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
CTGriffin
Aspirant

After upgrading to firmware V1.6.0.6 the documented password limits and validation works.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

As per the User Manual - Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switches Models GS105Ev2 GS105PE GS108Ev3 GS108PEv...  the max. password length is (supposed to be) 20. 

When quickly playing a GS105PE (a sibling of the GS105Ev2) operating on v1.6.0.6 attempting to put foo, cat, password, I get this:

GS105PE Password policy.PNG

Oh, and how "secure" is your crazy password (in my opinion not a password, but more a fraction of an authentication certificate) when sent over a plain http connection? Before you ask: There is no https support - the tiny service processor allowing to configure these simple switch chips does not allow it. 

Time for a firmware update on your GS105Pv2? In case your installed firmware is older than 1.5.0.4, please be aware that newer firmware does mandate for a bootloader update new bootloader - it does prompt for the right one in case it's not updated _after_ the firmware update, and based on the chipset in place. The two bootloader images were supplied with the GS105Ev2 Firmware Version 1.5.0.4 as GS105Ev2_loader_V1.4.0.5.bin resp. GS105Ev2_loader_V1.4.0.5-VB.bin so please be careful and select the right one! Unfortunately these were not included in newer firmware kits.

PS. I don't like that vendors put up random (but fixed) password policies - it should be to the device owner how simple or complex a password has to be.

Message 2 of 5
CTGriffin
Aspirant

Bootloader Version V1.6.0.1-VB

Firmware Version V1.6.0.3

Message 3 of 5
CTGriffin
Aspirant

After upgrading to firmware V1.6.0.6 the documented password limits and validation works.

Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@CTGriffin wrote:

Great, thank you for the feedback!

@CTGriffin wrote:

Bootloader Version V1.6.0.1-VB

Ok, that's the newe bootloader version Netgear has not released as an update yet.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements