× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS105PE * Need new Bootloader

Hypnosis4u2nv
Aspirant

GS105PE * Need new Bootloader

Bought a new switch but it came with firmware 1.3.0.3. Used the Utility to upgrade the firmware to 1.6.0.3, but the bootloader didn't get changed. I have 2 other of the same switches and they came with more up to date firmware and I was able to update both firmware and bootloader with no issues. Under the Management screen, it shows the latest firmware, but no bootloader information. And going into the Loader Mode still brings up that horrendous TFTP upload instead of choosing a file. 

Anyone have any suggestions getting this thing updated with the latest bootloader?

Model: GS105PE|ProSAFE Plus 5-port Switch with PoE pass through
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: GS105PE * Need new Bootloader

Hi @Hypnosis4u2nv,

Since your GS105PE switch came with firmware v1.3.0.3, it is not advisable to jump to the latest firmware version.  I suggest you to update the firmware in a ladderized manner.  Start from v1.3.0.3 to v1.4.0.2 .  Then, from v1.4.0.2 to v1.4.0.6 and so on until you reach v1.5.0.4.  Once you upgraded to v1.5.0.4, you will need to upgrade the bootloader as per instructions on this link.  After you have upgraded the bootloader, it is required to perform a factory reset on your GS105PE switch.  Afterwards, you can continue to upgrade the firmware from v1.5.0.4 to v1.5.0.5.  Then, from v1.5.0.5 to the latest v1.6.0.3.  

You can download the GS105PE firmware versions on this link.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Hypnosis4u2nv,

Since your GS105PE switch came with firmware v1.3.0.3, it is not advisable to jump to the latest firmware version.  I suggest you to update the firmware in a ladderized manner.  Start from v1.3.0.3 to v1.4.0.2 .  Then, from v1.4.0.2 to v1.4.0.6 and so on until you reach v1.5.0.4.  Once you upgraded to v1.5.0.4, you will need to upgrade the bootloader as per instructions on this link.  After you have upgraded the bootloader, it is required to perform a factory reset on your GS105PE switch.  Afterwards, you can continue to upgrade the firmware from v1.5.0.4 to v1.5.0.5.  Then, from v1.5.0.5 to the latest v1.6.0.3.  

You can download the GS105PE firmware versions on this link.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Hypnosis4u2nv,

I just want to follow-up on this.  We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information I’ve provided has helped resolve your concern or if you need further assistance.

If ever your concern has been addressed or  resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 4
Hypnosis4u2nv
Aspirant

Yes, I was able follow the instructions you posted above and get the firmware updated.

Although this could have been avoided had Netgear mentioned it in the Readme text of the new firmware as usually that's the one you want to install. There should be some guidance in newer firmware where people are coming from older non compatible firmware.

Another thing is that initially using the ProSafe Utility felt as if it didn't work. Clicking on the switch in the main menu did nothing and none of the options actually did anything useful. I didn't see a firmware upgrade button either. Hitting the button marked OK actually initiated the firmware upgrade procedure, although I never knew I selected it. In reality, that button should be labeled NEXT so people know there's another menu after selecting the switch.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements