× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: (SOLVED) Re: GS108Ev2 incorrect password after restoring configuration

inky
Guide

GS108Ev2 incorrect password after restoring configuration

I have 3 Netgear GS108Ev2 switches. All 3 units have firmware 1.00.12, and I'm
using the Prosafe Utility v2.3.20

Recently I reconfigured the VLANs in my local netowrk, and after modifying the
settings on the switches, I decided to go back at least temporarily, so I
restored my saved configurations. They used to work fine, and I had already
restored at least one of them before.

However, after restoring the configurations this time, I can't log in to the
switches anymore. The old password doesn't work. The configurations had been
saved with Prosafe Utility v2.3.5, so I thought that might be the issue. I
uninstalled v2.3.20 and reinstalled 2.3.5, then I tried to restore the configs
again. Nothing helps: I can't login to the switches.

What can I do?

Model: GS108Ev2|8-port ProSAFE Plus Switch
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
inky
Guide

Model: S3300-28X (GS728TX)|ProSAFE 24-port Stackable Smart Switches
Message 10 of 10

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: GS108Ev2 incorrect password after restoring configuration

Hi inky,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Kindly answer the questions below:

a. What was the firmware version of the 3 GS108Ev2 switches before you have upgraded it to firmware v1.00.12?

b. Have you tried to perform a factory reset the 3 GS108Ev2 switches before you have restored the configuration?  

I look forward to your response.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 10
inky
Guide

Hello DaneA,

thanks for your reply.

a. What was the firmware version of the 3 GS108Ev2 switches before you have upgraded it to firmware v1.00.12?

I don't remember. The firmware upgrade was done long ago. I'm pretty sure that after upgrading I edited the settings, saved configuration, restored it, edited more, re-saved configuration, etc. several times. The lost password problem only emerged this time, several months later, after I'd updated the Prosafe utility - not the switch firmware. Maybe it's not even related to that.

b. Have you tried to perform a factory reset the 3 GS108Ev2 switches before you have restored the configuration?  

Yes, all three of them. After resetting them, the hardcoded, default factory password is restored and the settings do get reset to defaults. Resetting to factory is the only way I can hope to restore the old configs, because otherwise I can't log in, so no way to restore settings. The lost password problem happens when I:

1. factory reset the switch
  2. use the default factory password to log in so I can proceed to...
  3. restore the old configuration (Maintenance menu)

After I do this, the settings appear to be restored. Actually, I'm not quite sure, because I can't log in and examine the setting pages visually through the Prosafe utility interface, and therefore I can't edit anything. However, the previous behavior is apparently restored.

I'd at least need a way to read what those settings were, so I can reprogram them from scratch and hopefully edit them further to suit the needs of the growing network structure, and then save configuration again. The alternative is figuring out the whole LAN/VLAN setup through all the building and reprogram from scratch, with a lot of hit-and-miss experimentation.

Message 3 of 10
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi inky,

What I am thinking is that its possible that someone may have changed the password before the configuration was backed-up. Then, now that you have restored the back-up configuration file, you cannot login using the password that you usually know because someone has changed it.  In relation to this, are you the only person who manages the network?  If not, then kindly ask your colleagues if ever they have made password changes before.

Otherwise, the only procedure to do is to reconfigure everything from scratch which may take time.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 10
inky
Guide

Hello DaneA,

I read your reply with interest.

What I am thinking is that its possible that someone may have changed the password before the configuration was backed-up. 

I'm positive it's always only been me to manage all the switches and routers. Besides, I examined the saved config files in a hex editor and found out my password appears indeed. Has the file format changed with newer firmware versions? Can I try to salvage them by adding/removing a few bytes at specific offsets?

Otherwise, the only procedure to do is to reconfigure everything from scratch which may take time. 

Could it help if I try to go back to a former firmware version before restoring the config?

I acquired these switches in 2013 if it helps to locate the most likely version.

Now a question for future harm reduction: what do you think happened exactly? I'm steadily adding more devices to the network, and soon more switches will be needed. If something like this happens again, the effects are going to fall somewhere between "quite inconvenient" and "nightmarish". I need to make sure I can avoid finding myself in this situation again. Any specific suggestions, beside maybe avoiding GS108E's?

Thanks again for your help!

Message 5 of 10
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi inky,

Its nice to know that you were able to decipher what is the password is by using a hex editor.  Were you able to login this time? 

With regard to the file format, I believe its negligible if for example, you have upgraded from v1.00.11 to v1.00.12 wherein its just 1 interval.  However, if for example you have upgraded from v1.00.05 to v1.00.12 then it would be best that you get screenshots of the settings first (as this will serve as your guide when you configure from scratch) before doing the firmware upgraded since its possible that the configuration file from an old firmware version will not be restored to a newer firmware version up-to-date. 

I believe it would not be advisable to add/remove a few bytes at specific offsets as this might cause an error or further trouble.

It will be okay if you go back to a former firmware version before you restore the configuration file (I assume that the backup configuration file came from a former firmware version).  Be reminded to perform a factory reset on the switch after you downgrade (or upgrade) the firmware. 

I am not sure what really caused the problem.  However, I recommend that in order to avoid this kind of problem, it is best that when you back-up a configuration file, save it in a folder then label that folder on what specific firmware version it came from as well as indicate the corresponding password for future reference.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 10
inky
Guide

Hello again,

Its nice to know that you were able to decipher what is the password is by using a hex editor.  Were you able to login this time?  

No, the password is indeed the one I knew. It just isn't recognized. I'm guessing the save file format has changed, and the device gets out of sync while reading the configuration. 

It will be okay if you go back to a former firmware version before you restore the configuration file (I assume that the backup configuration file came from a former firmware version).  Be reminded to perform a factory reset on the switch after you downgrade (or upgrade) the firmware. 

Allright, so I'll try going through this annoying routine.

I don't know if you can get any feedback to the developers, but it would be nice to remind them to keep config file compatibility when upgrading the firmware (e.g., the new saved parameters should only be appended at the end of the old file format!). No use denying I'm more than a little disappointed by what happened.

Thanks for your helpful suggestions anyway.

Message 7 of 10
inky
Guide

(SOLVED) Re: GS108Ev2 incorrect password after restoring configuration

Minimal summary

Only upgrade firmware if you know you need to. Recovering old config files is a major hassle, if it's possible at all.

Discussion

I think I found out what happened.

(From GS108Ev2 firmware v1.00.12 release notes)

WARNING - Please make sure the version of the Prosafe Plus Utility installed on your PC is v2.2.24 or newer before upgrading the GS108Ev2 firmware. Older versions of the Plus Utility do not support the password encryption required by V1.00.10 firmware.

In my understanding, what this means is:

To restore old configurations, the switches must be downgraded to firmware v1.00.09 or older. Otherwise the unencrypted passwords of old firmware versions won't be correctly read by newer firmware versions from 1.00.10 onwards, so you will be locked out of the switch until you reset it to factory.

The Prosafe utility must be downgraded to v2.2.23 or older too, or it will try to encrypt the passwords and the older firmare versions won't be able to read them, since they expect them uncrypted.

I reiterate my suggestion to the developers: at least put a cleartext header in the config file, so the switch (or the user!) knows which firmware version saved it. If you want to make it really functional, have appropriate checks at load (restore) time, so old unencrypted passwords keep on working on new firmware versions.

Message 8 of 10
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi inky,

About your suggestion, you may post it as a feature request in the Idea Exchange for Business here.  Be reminded that adding kudos to the ideas will help as the development team will be reviewing the post that has the most kudos and it might be considered to be added on the future functionality of the product.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 10
inky
Guide

Model: S3300-28X (GS728TX)|ProSAFE 24-port Stackable Smart Switches
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies