× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS108Ev3 VLAN Setup

attilay2k
Aspirant

GS108Ev3 VLAN Setup

Hi all,

i've bought GS108Ev3 Managed switch in order to create a segregation for my devices, by type. My intention was to separate PCs from Phones and from Cameras.

My firmware version is 2.00.12 but i cannot see, in the Web Management console, how to setup a VLAN (by specifying IP range, netmask, etc.) i need to access via telnet or ssh? someone can help me with a documentation or suggestion?

Thanks in advance for your help

Model: GS108Ev3|ProSafe 8 ports Gigabit Plus switch
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS108Ev3 VLAN Setup

Hi,

Each 802.1q VLAN is a L2 network, like using different switches or wireless AP for multiple LANs, creating a unique broadcast domain. this is what you can configure on the Smart Managed Plus switches. One more point: The Smart Managed Plus management interface is floating and connecting to all VLANs (except of e.g. the XS724EM where a management VLAN can be defined) so the switch can be discovered, and might (and will) pick up IP addresses from any VLAN.

Before you start looking for a bigger model supporting L2/L3 including IP routing: This will probably not achieve what you expect. On one hand, you won't win much security, on the other hand, you might even loose functionality.

For a proper set-up of multiple VLANs with some security segregation, you need a router allowing the management of multiple subnets and security zones, either with VLAN or at east with dedicated ports.

Regards,

-Kurt

PS. A moderator is kindly asked to move this thread to the appropriate Business Solutions -> Switches -> Smart / Plus / Click Switches

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS108Ev3 VLAN Setup

Hi,

Each 802.1q VLAN is a L2 network, like using different switches or wireless AP for multiple LANs, creating a unique broadcast domain. this is what you can configure on the Smart Managed Plus switches. One more point: The Smart Managed Plus management interface is floating and connecting to all VLANs (except of e.g. the XS724EM where a management VLAN can be defined) so the switch can be discovered, and might (and will) pick up IP addresses from any VLAN.

Before you start looking for a bigger model supporting L2/L3 including IP routing: This will probably not achieve what you expect. On one hand, you won't win much security, on the other hand, you might even loose functionality.

For a proper set-up of multiple VLANs with some security segregation, you need a router allowing the management of multiple subnets and security zones, either with VLAN or at east with dedicated ports.

Regards,

-Kurt

PS. A moderator is kindly asked to move this thread to the appropriate Business Solutions -> Switches -> Smart / Plus / Click Switches

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements