× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS108PEv3 setup problems

biba
Aspirant

GS108PEv3 setup problems

Hi there,

I am having problems setting up a GS108PEv3 and a JGS516PE network switch. The 8 port switch is for staff accomodation, the 16 port one for the main building.

I am looking to connect five ethernet cables, running from downstairs to the five staff rooms upstairs, to the switch. I connected the switch to the router, also connecting it to a laptop which has the ProSafe Plus utility installed. Here's where my problems begin. The utility cannot locate the switch. I checked the router configuration (Brightbox 2) but cannot find the switch IP.

The switch is powering up but I have no other means of verifying that it is working correctly.

I am not experienced with setting up switches and my problems might be easily addressed ... hoping that someone can help me out.

Kind regards,
Benjamin

Model: GS108PEv3|ProSAFE Gigabit Plus Switch with PoE
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS108PEv3 setup problems

Excellent points @Nodism1125!

In case neither the Netgear Switch Discovery Tool nor the ProSAFE Plus Utility (which requires the installation of a packet capturing driver) aren't able to discover the switches even if connected direct (computer - switch - router) there might be some Internet "security" thinge blocking the required network traffic in the computer.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Does a similar set-up work when plugged together with just some patch cords near to the router on a desk?

Switches powered by the power supply, the per device Power, PoE Power Status LED are on?

Each switch port has two Speed/Link/Activity LED. The Ethernet links are coming up at all? 

Any PoE devices connected and powered by these switches?

Message 2 of 6
biba
Aspirant

Hi schumaku,

To answer your questions:

- Similar, simpler set-ups e.g. router to switch and laptop to switch or router to switch and laptop to router are yielding the same results

- The PoE Power Status LEDs are on for both switches.

- The 16 port switch only shows a steady orange led at the port that is connected to the router. The 8 port switch Ethernet link LEDs are neither steady nor blinking.

- No PoE devices are connected to either switch (no wireless APs).

Don't know if that is of any importance but a powerline adapter (Devolo) is connected to the router via Cat6e cable. 

Benjamin

Message 3 of 6
Nodism1125
NETGEAR Expert

Hi biba,

Once you connect the switch to router, the switch will act as additional local ports of your network.

JGS516PE Main Building location

GS108PEv3 Staff location

Which switch is connected to the router?
Are you able get internet access and IP addres wired to the switch? If yes, the switch is working as pass-through switch.

If your laptop wired to any of the switch port, ProSAFE plus utility should detect the IP assign by the router unless there's an application blocking it such as antivirus or firewall.

There's another way, the switch has a web GUI to manage the ProSAFE switch. You can also install the NETGEAR Switch Discovery Tool to access admin page.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/JGS516PE.aspx#download

Correct setup should be:

Internet Modem - Router -> Switch -> Computers

If you have an existing network, connect the additional switch to any working local ports.

Message 4 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Excellent points @Nodism1125!

In case neither the Netgear Switch Discovery Tool nor the ProSAFE Plus Utility (which requires the installation of a packet capturing driver) aren't able to discover the switches even if connected direct (computer - switch - router) there might be some Internet "security" thinge blocking the required network traffic in the computer.

Message 5 of 6
biba
Aspirant

Good evening,

Many thanks to both of you! I so far only tried the 8 port switch located in the staff accomodation part of the building complex. I temporarily disabled the Bitdefender security suite but still could not locate the switch. I factory reseted the switch and et voila, next time I refreshed the ProSafe utility it found the 8 port switch and even the 16 port one which is connected to the router in the main building (must be due to the fact that I did not disable to the Wifi connection to the main building). 

I can now access the switch settings, I enabled all ports and can now use the Ethernet sockets in the various staff rooms.

I am going to try my luck with the 16 port switch tomorrow (time permitting).

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements