× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS108T power usage and PoE class

vyga
Follower

GS108T power usage and PoE class

Hello,

I would to connect and power my switches this way  main router ->  GS305P or GS305PP  ->   GS105PE  -> GS108T .

I am wondering if I really need PoE+ powering my GS105PE ? I came upon table in forums which indicates that GS105PE can supply power only to Class 1 and 2 devices when powered by simple PoE. 

So the real question is - what PoE class GS108T is reporting to its powering devices? How many watts does it use?

Also similar question: what PoE class GS105PE is reporing to its powering devices? How many watts does it use (when no PoE passthru is active)?

Model: GS105PE|ProSafe Plus 5 ports switch with PoE pass through, GS108T|ProSafe 8 ports gigabit smart switch
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS108T power usage and PoE class

@vyga wrote:

I am wondering if I really need PoE+ powering my GS105PE ?

Yes, you do.

@vyga wrote:

I came upon table in forums which indicates that GS105PE can supply power only to Class 1 and 2 devices when powered by simple PoE.

Complete information available -> GS105PE: PoE troubleshooting (strange title - but very informative)

@vyga wrote:

So the real question is - what PoE class GS108T is reporting to its powering devices? How many watts does it use?

Most likely Class 0 - as many PoE devices do, even if they require much less max power. GS108Tv2 Datasheet says max 6 W however. Sad Netgear does nor provide the exact specs here. 

@vyga wrote:

Also similar question: what PoE class GS105PE is reporing to its powering devices? How many watts does it use (when no PoE passthru is active)?

Not sure on how they make the spread between the two standards - if they would request a hard Class 4 a 802.3af source would refuse to power it. Calculate about max. 0.8W per GbE port. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @vyga 

Welcome to Cummunity!

For GS105PE:

The PoE pass-thru capacity depend on input power mode.Below is detailed info:

GS105PE.png

For GS108T:

The GS108T supports IEEE 802.3af standard for Power over Ethernet (PoE). It can obtain its power from either a PoE source or from an external AC power adapter.

Alternatively, unit can be powered by IEEE 802.3af PSE via Ethernet port1,  Power consumption: 6W maximum.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Eric

Message 2 of 3
schumaku
Guru

@vyga wrote:

I am wondering if I really need PoE+ powering my GS105PE ?

Yes, you do.

@vyga wrote:

I came upon table in forums which indicates that GS105PE can supply power only to Class 1 and 2 devices when powered by simple PoE.

Complete information available -> GS105PE: PoE troubleshooting (strange title - but very informative)

@vyga wrote:

Most likely Class 0 - as many PoE devices do, even if they require much less max power. GS108Tv2 Datasheet says max 6 W however. Sad Netgear does nor provide the exact specs here. 

@vyga wrote:

Not sure on how they make the spread between the two standards - if they would request a hard Class 4 a 802.3af source would refuse to power it. Calculate about max. 0.8W per GbE port. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements