× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS108Tv2 Configuring Port Mirroring disconnects switch from network

jacobhuerta
Tutor

GS108Tv2 Configuring Port Mirroring disconnects switch from network

Product: Netgear ProSafe 8-port Gigabit Smart Switch GS108Tv2

Whenever a user is attempting to configure port mirroring in the web access panel, after applying changes the web page crashes and the device is no longer accessable from the smart control center. This has been attempted a few times, we've managed to get it working on one system but disconnecting power and mirgating it to another area means going through the process again and results vary.

Steps I've tried:

1) First failure after configuring, reset device to factory default settings.

2) Second failure, update firmware to (5.4.2.33) was (5.4.2.30)

3) Third failed attempt, reset to factory default settings again.

4) Failed again went to another system tried steps 1 to 3 again, worked.

5) Power cycled device reconfigured, device fails to work

6) Try steps 1 to 3 again still doesn't work

7) Went to old system tried steps 1 to 3 again doesn't work

😎 Downloaded newest version of Smart Control Center (1.1.3.4)

9) Try steps 1 to 3 again still doesn't work

Configurations done after each factory reset:

Dhcp: Diabled

IP Address: 10.0.0.1

Gateway: 10.0.0.254

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

If device isn't discoverable after configuration, reboot or factory reset and reconfigure.

In Web Browser Access or (10.0.0.1):

On the port mirroing section of the web page, all ports g2 - g7 are selected to mirror receive and transmit. The destination is selected to be port g1 and then enable is selected from the drop down menu. After hitting apply the webpage reloads partially, refreshing the page gives a message that 10.0.0.1 took to long to respond.

Attempts are made to ping the device and we aren't able to get a response.

We aren't quite sure what to do at this point occasionally we are able to get port mirroring and for packets from other 4 devices to show but whenever power is diconnected from the switch the process for getting back is time consuming and rather frusterating. Is there something we haven't done or that we can try? Currently we aren't able to get port-mirroring working again after trying 3 different systems again doing the same steps mentioned above.

Model: GS108Tv2|ProSafe 8 ports gigabit smart switch
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
jacobhuerta
Tutor

@schumaku wrote:

Sounds like something Netgear should be able to reproduce. Afraid, no such spare switch at hand here.

Since a bit of time has passed I decided jump on schumaku's idea and went on the hunt for another GS108Tv2 to see if I could replicate the issue myself. I did find one, swapped it out with the current one in my network and configured it exactly as mentioned before. It seems to work fine and we haven't had any problems even after rebooting, unplugging different devices and messing around, in general, trying to break it. The solution might be just getting a new switch if this problem is encountered by anyone else. The switch we got is exactly the same only newer and with the most recent firmware update. It's hard to say what the actual problem was, everything was hooked up and configured exactly the same only with a different GS108Tv2 switch so it might be just a bad switch.

So far its pretty promising, I will mark this as a solution though its not clear what the problem actually was. It would be nice if someone from Netgear can comment whether or not this was a problem that existed in an older version of this switch.

Attached is a screenshot of our port mirroring settings on the web interface and smart control center.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

You might want to stick with the Web UI.

@jacobhuerta wrote:

On the port mirroing section of the web page, all ports g2 - g7 are selected to mirror receive and transmit. The destination is selected to be port g1 and then enable is selected from the drop down menu.

Is this really what you want? Once a port is configured as a mirror, it can't be used as a generic switch port anymore - it's a pure replica of the g1 (permitting having with g2...g8 seven mirrors is possible or reasonable at all - no idea, typically we use one)  and these won't allow to discover or manage the switch, nor connect to the rest of the network (via g1).

Or did you had the idea to mirror g2..g8 to g1 (what can lead to the obvious packet loss due to the different bandwidth).

Message 2 of 5
jacobhuerta
Tutor

This was a lapse in my description, we are using port 1 to mirror packets from port 2 through 7 and using one 8 manage the switch. It seems possible since we've accomplished this before. We are using this because our org doesn't allow use to buy hubs anymore so we have 6 boards connected to the switch, one port is used to manage while another is used to listen. So yes we are sure, though if anyone has another idea we are open to it as well.

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Sounds like something Netgear should be able to reproduce. Afraid, no such spare switch at hand here.

Message 4 of 5
jacobhuerta
Tutor

@schumaku wrote:

Since a bit of time has passed I decided jump on schumaku's idea and went on the hunt for another GS108Tv2 to see if I could replicate the issue myself. I did find one, swapped it out with the current one in my network and configured it exactly as mentioned before. It seems to work fine and we haven't had any problems even after rebooting, unplugging different devices and messing around, in general, trying to break it. The solution might be just getting a new switch if this problem is encountered by anyone else. The switch we got is exactly the same only newer and with the most recent firmware update. It's hard to say what the actual problem was, everything was hooked up and configured exactly the same only with a different GS108Tv2 switch so it might be just a bad switch.

So far its pretty promising, I will mark this as a solution though its not clear what the problem actually was. It would be nice if someone from Netgear can comment whether or not this was a problem that existed in an older version of this switch.

Attached is a screenshot of our port mirroring settings on the web interface and smart control center.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements