× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS108Tv3 cannot use local login with internet access

joejoe5
Guide

GS108Tv3 cannot use local login with internet access

I just purchased a few GS108Tv3 switches and am not liking this web connected stuff. The new v3 has some features that are helpful to me over the v2 but in trying to set it up I discovered you cannot use a local account if the switch is connected to the internet; you're forced to login only.

Is there any way around this and if not, how can I submit a feature request? I not very pleased having the switch phone home to netgear and having to setup an account just to access the switch once my initial configuration is done (which was done offline).

Message 1 of 23

Accepted Solutions
tuna_ertemalp
Luminary

Firmware Version V7.0.1.20 released a few days ago fixes this issue: GS108Tv3 Firmware and Software Downloads

I updated all my GS108Tv3 and verified. Here are the Release Notes

Tuna

View solution in original post

Message 21 of 23

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Hm, to new - no experience here with these new GS108Tv3, GS110TPv3 - but plenty of Smart Managed Cloud (Insight) switches (GCxxx) deployed in the field.

Unless they derived from the basic design of the Smart Managed Cloud (Insight) Switches, there is a local-only web browser-based management GUI, with a local configuration - and no could link at all. Even in the cloud config, there is an admin password pushed - which does allow the local login, no cloud login or the like required.

By rule of thumb, just plug the systems to a network with a DHCP server [or for the sake of it without DHCP try just one, they listen on the default 192.168.0.239/24], open a browser session to the assigned IP address, and configure the switch - that's probably not what the installation guide says, which is fully App and cloud oriented.

As long as you don't enable the Insight management mode (being by using the Insight App [or Insight Pro]) or change the management mode on the switch, I would expect these behave like any other "normal" Web managed Netgear Smart Managed Pro [or Plus] switch.

The GS108Tv3 and GS110TPv3 Data Sheet does clearly show "Local-only web browser-based management GUI".

Message 2 of 23
joejoe5
Guide

I configured the switch initially with no internet access and changed the password. The unit it set to local authentication (not the cloud one). As soon as it's connected to a network with internet access, i'm forced to create a netgear account and can't login locally anymore. If I use my netgear account, i can see the device is still set to local but there doesn't seem to be a way to login.

Message 3 of 23
schumaku
Guru

@joejoe5 wrote:

As soon as it's connected to a network with internet access, i'm forced to create a netgear account ...

That's more for the registration I _hope_.

@joejoe5 wrote:

...and can't login locally anymore. If I use my netgear account, i can see the device is still set to local but there doesn't seem to be a way to login.

No simple password prompt like this?

Insight Switch - local password.PNG

If not, they will make a lot of customers unhappy.... @IphieChen @YeZ  @Christian_R

Message 4 of 23
schumaku
Guru

Doesn't look good ... https://kb.netgear.com/000060697/GS108Tv3-GS110TPv3-Firmware-Version-7-0-0-16 does talk of "Netgear account Single Sign On" ... bugger, nice in a way, but also not what many customers prefer. 

Message 5 of 23
joejoe5
Guide

I definately agree it's going to make a lot of customers unhappy. It's made me quite unhappy.

When i setup the switch offline for the first time, i see this:

login_local.png

after login, i always get this message

msg.png

and then the management info:

mgmt.png

After configuring the switch and putting it on a network with DHCP and internet access, this is what I see to login:

post_setup.png

I had to create the account (I created a dummy account) which has registered/linked the device to this dummy user. If I login, it redirects to a internet URL and once i'm in the switch, I see everyting is still set to local:

post_setup_login.png

I have a bunch more switches to configure and more on order but this is ridiculous. I don't want my switches talking to netgear! there has to be a way around this.

Message 6 of 23
joejoe5
Guide

The only way to get this fixed is to complain I guess. We started here, hopefully netgear reps will see it.

Next is to complain to my vendor who i'm sure can pass it along to the netgear sales rep.

Message 7 of 23
schumaku
Guru

@joejoe5 wrote:

Is there any way around this and if not, how can I submit a feature request?

-> Idea Exchange For Business

-> Connect With The SMB GM

Happy for backing you there, too!

Message 8 of 23
YeZ
NETGEAR Expert
NETGEAR Expert

@joejoe5 Thank you for the feedback, we heard you. We will be working on improving this flow so no more NETGEAR account log in is required after the very first time you create the account and register the product with NETGEAR. The purpose of this flow is to make sure users register the products properly so in case of critical time like security issue/resolution communication we can reach to you. We understand the inconvenience this has brought to you. 

Message 9 of 23
joejoe5
Guide

@YeZ  I don't even want to register the switch and associated it with an account. I just want to use it the same way as a v2 switch without all this online/registration nonsense.

Message 10 of 23
IphieChen
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @joejoe5 

Thanks for supporting NETGEAR Business products. We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the inconvenience. 

NETGEAR is trying to offer Remote/Cloud management options for business users to enjoy the simpler configuration and deployment from anywhere using the NETGEAR Insight app through mobile devices or the Insight Cloud Portal in any device with a web browser. The SSO is for the best security updates and optimum level of protection as @YeZ mentioned that we can reach to you whenever your devices have critical security issue. Also, you register the device to get full NETGEAR Hardware Warranty and Support entitlement.

We also understand that most Smart Managed Pro users would prefer the classic local GUI management. Therefore, we kept it as default management mode and only offer NETGEAR Insight management as an optional mode. You could choose not to activate it if you don't need it.

Your opinions about the user's expereiences have been well received. We have been working on improving the user's experience with these new Smart Managed Pro switch with Insight Management capability for a while. Soon we will have firmware update to enable users skip login after the first time they create the account and register the product with NETGEAR.  

Message 11 of 23
schumaku
Guru

@IphieChen & @YeZ ,

The optional SSO to the device(s) would be very useful if it's extended to the Insight Pro roles model. This would allow to overcome the "root" (here: admin) problem with it's shared password for the individual device level operations and management.

Message 12 of 23
joejoe5
Guide

@IphieChen  While I appreciate being given the option to continue using local login in a future update after registering the product (any ETA as it's blocking my using a few newly purchased switches?) , I still want the ability to simply bypass registration completely. I understand your reasons for trying to enforce it but I want the choice whether or not to register it and you've taken that away from me. I've got hundreds of these units (both 108 and 110 models) in use now and are working well for my needs and was happy to see some of the new features in the V3 units but with this forced registration (which none of the other hardware I use has) and big brother behvior for every login, until a firmware update fixes this I hope, I'm very disappointed and am considering looking for alternatives now.

I hope you can see fit to give your users the choice on these new forced options. I'd like to continue using your products but right now i'm not sure if that's going to be possible.

Message 13 of 23
SimonCanine
Guide

I have this problem with my GS110TPv3

Please advise when the firmware with this disasterous mis-design of the login will be fixed, as I have all Netgear purchases on hold while I evaluate alternate vendors.

Message 14 of 23
SimonCanine
Guide

Thinking a bit further - how did a design disaster like this ever make it past both the design and marketing team?   Someone needs to start paying attention to customer feedback before dropping a new product on the users, especially when such major interface changes are made to a "version upgrade".

Message 15 of 23
SimonCanine
Guide

Referring to the "v3" verson - GS110TPv3.

Is this login procedure a security hole?

I manage the network at a private club.  We have all of our hardware secured, but members have wireless access to our network.   The intent is to allow internet access, but not allow management access to connected devices including the GS110TPv3.

Suppose someone enters the IP of the router and creates a Netgear account.  Since they are on the network with our router, will that person then be able to use their Netgear account to login to the switch?

Model: GS110TP|ProSafe 8 ports gigabit PoE smart switch
Message 16 of 23
schumaku
Guru

@SimonCanine wrote:

Is this login procedure a security hole?

No, of course not. Similar to changing the admin password on a new device, you have to take ownership of the switch by registering it with Netgear. 

@SimonCanine wrote:

Suppose someone enters the IP of the router and creates a Netgear account.  Since they are on the network with our router, will that person then be able to use their Netgear account to login to the switch?

Do you connect the switches to the club network without being ever configured - without the admin password changed? Of course only the device owner can login to that switch, not everyone with a Netgear account.

I'm somewhat amazed that - being keen on security and using Smart Managed Pro switches - that you seem to be using the same IP subnet and VLAN for the device administration as your customers are using to access the Internet. There should be bigger construction zones than these v3 switches. 

While talking, what Netgear does is very similar to what Microsoft does offer to non-Active Directory owners allowing to use the Microsoft account for your Windows login. Can I login with my Microsoft account to your Windows system?

Message 17 of 23
proj964
Guide

i just installed a new gs108tv3. the firmware is the latest (initial). This problem still exists two months after it was first noted in this topic. Does anyone at Netgear have a ETA for a fix? As noted before, it is really hard to understand how this login change ever got into the field in the first place; and why it is taking to long to fix. 

Model: GS108Tv2|ProSafe 8 ports gigabit smart switch
Message 18 of 23
SimonCanine
Guide

I'm done buying Netgear until they fix this abomination of a feature.   

Message 19 of 23
schumaku
Guru

@proj964 wrote:

i just installed a new gs108tv3. the firmware is the latest (initial). This problem still exists two months after it was first noted in this topic. Does anyone at Netgear have a ETA for a fix? As noted before, it is really hard to understand how this login change ever got into the field in the first place; and why it is taking to long to fix. 

@YeZ please.

Message 20 of 23
tuna_ertemalp
Luminary

Firmware Version V7.0.1.20 released a few days ago fixes this issue: GS108Tv3 Firmware and Software Downloads

I updated all my GS108Tv3 and verified. Here are the Release Notes

Tuna

Message 21 of 23
proj964
Guide

Thanks for the update. I can also verify that the new firmware resolves this problem. 

Jon

Message 22 of 23
CraigSki
Guide

If anyone trying the new firmware can give some insight to "Only limited Web GUI functions available if the device is not registered" Please reply in this thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Insight-Managed-Smart-Cloud/GS108Tv3-version-7-0-1-20-quot-Only-lim...

Thanks

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 16 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements