× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS116Ev2 VLAN vs Switch's IP Address

WAMorgan
Apprentice

GS116Ev2 VLAN vs Switch's IP Address

I'm wanting to set up the switch with VLANs. I understand that Netgear's terminolgy is different than Cisco's and I think I've figured that part out. The one difference I haven't figured out yet is that the Cisco switches can have an IP address assigned to them for each VLAN. Usually, it's just the management VLAN unless it's being used as a layer 3 switch, but it can have mutliple addresses. In the Netgear switch, I only see the one IP address. So, which VLAN does it belong to? If it's set for DHCP (with a reservation to create a stable address), which VLAN's DHCP server will it get the IP address from? If I set a static IP, which VLAN do I need to be on to manage the switch? I suspect the answer to these 2 questions is the same VLAN, I just need to know which one it is.

Model: GS116Ev2|ProSAFE Plus 16-port Gigabit Switch
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Different form the heavy blue iron, the Netgear Smart Managed Plus (like your GS110Ev2) are very basic switches. Most Smart Managed Plus and earlier Smart Managed Pro switches don't support configuring the management VLAN ID 1. The management is always on the VLAN 1, on other VLAN the CPU port don't get a management IP at all.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Different form the heavy blue iron, the Netgear Smart Managed Plus (like your GS110Ev2) are very basic switches. Most Smart Managed Plus and earlier Smart Managed Pro switches don't support configuring the management VLAN ID 1. The management is always on the VLAN 1, on other VLAN the CPU port don't get a management IP at all.

Message 2 of 4
WAMorgan
Apprentice

Thanks Schumaku,

It would be nice if that was in the documentation. I searched manually and using Find in the PDF, but no luck.

Model: GS116Ev2|ProSAFE Plus 16-port Gigabit Switch
Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

wrote:

It would be nice if that was in the documentation. I searched manually and using Find in the PDF, but no luck.

It's indeed not part of the docs. Should be mentioned along the beginning of Ch. 2 Manage Network Settings .... Specify IP Address Settings for the Switch. Let's see if we find somebody from Netgear to pick this up - @DaneA can you push this forward please?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements