× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS308E - Random port stops working

LoBer
Tutor

GS308E - Random port stops working

Hi.

I have recently purchased two GS308E switches and only one of the two is facing the following issue.

During normal usage I randomly loose internet connection.

It happens several times a day, but some days the situation seems worse than others.

The situation is restored if I unplug and plug again the cable in the switch.

Another solution is to switch off and on the switch.

No clear evidence of malfunctioning is signalled by front leds and everything seems ok even in the web interface of the device.

This occurs on all the ports, randomly.

And this happens not only with my desktop computer but also with a router connected on another port.

What can the problem be?

Thanks

Model: GS308E|8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
LoBer
Tutor

@JohnC_V 

It seems the problem went away by disabling "IGMP Snooping Status".

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@LoBer,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

It seems that you were having issues with the ports being dropped randomly. How many devices are connected to the switch? Normally, it just shuts down the port whenever a broadcast storm is being detected on the switch. Does it happen on a specific device? 

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 7
LoBer
Tutor

@JohnC_V 

Hi,

thanks for your answer.

On port 1 I currently have a long (80m) ethernet cable connected to another GS308E switch: this port has never stopped working.

On port 3 I have a low speed access point servicing wifi connections.

On port 8 I have a direct gigabit connection to my desktop PC.

The problem occurs frequently with the port directly connected to my desktop PC, but also the other port stops working sometimes (less frequently).

The physical port itself does not matter, since the problem occurs event if I plug the cables on different ports of the switch.

Is it possible to block broadcast storms on the switch or on the Windows 10 machine?

Thanks,

LoBer

Message 3 of 7
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@LoBer,

Broadcast storms are created by traffic that is going on with your network. You can try to connect a device one by one in order to distinguish which one is actually providing that high traffic in your network.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 7
LoBer
Tutor

@JohnC_V 

It seems the problem went away by disabling "IGMP Snooping Status".

Message 5 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@JohnC_V  It must not be required to disable to fix this issue. IGMP Multicast Snooping is a feature that should work as designed. If this does shut own ports randomly, something is borked on the switch config resp. the firmware. 

Message 6 of 7
LoBer
Tutor

Update, the problem has not completely disappeared, the port shutdown still happens but far less frequently.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements