× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS408EPP - no voltage on POE port through patch panel, only direct

hlob
Initiate

GS408EPP - no voltage on POE port through patch panel, only direct

Dear All,
I have a very strange problem at hand. I have a GS408EPP unmanaged 8 port POE switch and some PoE devices (Axis P1447-LEs). There's a patch panel connected to a 25m run of Cat6 cable with a standard RJ45 socket on the other end. What's happening:

- Testing with a network cable analyser shows that its 4 pairs are wired correctly through the patch panel 

- The network cable analyser detects a working PoE voltage only when it's connected directly via a patch cable, not via the patch panel and cabling

- The axis cam comes up and works when connected directly but not through the patch panel and cabling

Anyone has any ideas on this?

Thanks, best regards!

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS408EPP - no voltage on POE port through patch panel, only direct

The GS408EPP is not unmanaged, much more it's a Smart Managed Plus switch.

Consult with the GS408EPP Downloads pages for the current firmware. You can use a Web browser or the ProSafe Plus Utility (Windows only) for the update process as well as for the simple Web management. Consult your DHCP server for the switch IP address, or use the Netgear Switch Discovery Tool (MacOS or Windows).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

The GS408EPP is not unmanaged, much more it's a Smart Managed Plus switch.

Consult with the GS408EPP Downloads pages for the current firmware. You can use a Web browser or the ProSafe Plus Utility (Windows only) for the update process as well as for the simple Web management. Consult your DHCP server for the switch IP address, or use the Netgear Switch Discovery Tool (MacOS or Windows).

Message 2 of 3
hlob
Initiate

Dear schumaku,

that's really funny. It was sold to me as dumb switch and the price tag seemed to imply that too 🙂

It didn't use the DHCP server so I didn't find it in my logs either. Only after your message I tried the default ip and found the thing. Turns out there's at least two bugs in the 1.0.0.10 firmware. It doesn't use DHCP even if configured to, and it doesn't power up  my PoE devices when they are not directly connected to the switch.

Thanks a heap!

Best regards!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements