× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS510TLP inter vlan

mrmabmn
Aspirant

Hello,

I moved the wireshark PC from port 7 to port 6. I successfully pinged 192.168.1.1 and 172.16.20.250, but was not successful pinging 8.8.8.8 from that PC. I have attached a screen shot of the ping results which are visible in the ICMP filter of Wireshark.  So yes, the wireshark is working, and I am getting results with the wireshark on port6.

IMG_0031.JPGIMG_0033.JPG

Message 26 of 34
Hopchen
Prodigy

Hi,

Thanks for that! So, Wireshark is running correctly and you are capturing using the correct interface. That is good!

Maybe it is the port mirror then afterall. Can you do a screenshot of the port mirror page? So I can see the setup you did?

Thanks!

Message 27 of 34
mrmabmn
Aspirant

GS510TLP mirror configurationGS510TLP mirror configurationSure, I should have done this originally.

Message 28 of 34
Hopchen
Prodigy

Hey,

Yeah, that looks good as well. I wonder why Wireshark is not picking anything up???

Can you check that "promiscuous" is enabled in Wireshark? Go to "Capture" --> "Options" --> make sure the box is ticked for: "Enable promiscuous mode on all interfaces".

Can we try again with the capture in port 7 - doublechecking that promiscuous is enabled in Wireshark?

I really have a hard time understanding what is wrong here, why the capture is not working when plugged into port 7??? If that still does not work, I need to try and see if I can somehow "break" my port mirror to make it act yours! Cause I really don't see why this is not working.

Is the switch on the latest fw? Sorry if I asked already, long thread, lol.

Message 29 of 34
mrmabmn
Aspirant

icmpcapture.jpg

Here is a trace from VLAN30, to 8.8.8.8, 192.168.1.1, 172.16.20.250 with the wireshark PC on port 7. The only ping which was not successful from the VLAN30 is the ping to IP address 8.8.8.8.

My switch was on firmware revision 6.6.2.6 it is now at 6.6.2.8

Model: GS510TP|ProSAFE 8-port PoE Smart Switch with fiber uplink
Message 30 of 34
mrmabmn
Aspirant

Here is a better wireshark capture of the ping from VLAN30 computer to 192.168.1.1, 172.16.20.250, and 8.8.8.8.  There was no successful ping on 8.8.8.8icmpcapture8888noreply.jpg

Message 31 of 34
Hopchen
Prodigy

Hi again,

Thank you for those screenshots! The port mirror is working now 🙂

So, it basically just confirms what I thought was the issue: the Nighthawk.

The packet capture clearly shows that if a VLAN 30 device (or VLAN 20 device for that matter - would be the same result) pings the LAN interface of the Nighthawk (192.168.1.1) then the Nighthawk uses its static routes to find the way back to the PC. However, for some reason, the Nighthawk is not using those static routes when Internet traffic returns.

The switch does its job = sends the traffic the Nighthawk, but some traffic never returns. This not an issue on the switch or with your config 🙂

The packet capture was really just to prove the theory. I am sorry I cannot help you further because I cannot explain why the Nighthawk won't use the configured static routes for the return of Internet traffic.

You have a clear case here now. My suggestion is to raise this to Netgear and let them see why this behaviour happens.

Please keep us posted. Interesting case. Good luck and thanks for co-operation!

Message 32 of 34
mrmabmn
Aspirant

Good morning,

I appreciate ALL OF YOUR HELP and PATIENCE.

You have validated my configuration and verified everything for me.  I will reach out to Netgear about the Nighthawk and see why the static routes are not working.   I could not have completed this without your help. Thank you.

Have a good one.

Message 33 of 34
Hopchen
Prodigy

Hey again,

No problem at all 🙂

And do please keep us updated. Will be interesting to see what happens next!

Have a good weekend. Cheers!

Message 34 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements