× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS724TP-200EUS questions

vguna
Guide

GS724TP-200EUS questions

Hey.

I'm looking to buy that switch for my new home and I wanted to ask some questions upfront instead of having to return it if it doesn't fit my requirements. Sadly there are ambigious answers out there :(.

- Does this switch support disabling PoE ports via SNMP like described here for the 48 port version?:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Smart-Plus-Click-Switches/Switch-GS728TP-POE-Admin-enable-disable-v...

I'm aiming to "reset" PoE devices automatically using scripting and an SNMP agent.

- Does the switch support IGMP v3, which is needed for some german TV streaming offers like Telekom Entertain etc.?
- Does somebody know, what is the power consumption of that switch when no devices are connected? And how many watts are approx. added per non-PoE connected port/device?
- The fan in this model has been reported to be very loud. Is this still an issue with the recent v2 version?

- Is Amazon considered an "authorized reseller" in terms of ProSafe Lifetime Warranty program that (hopefully) applies to that switch as well?

Thanks for your support!

Model: GS724TP|ProSAFE 24-port Gigabit Smart Switches with PoE
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @vguna,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

The GS724TP-200EUS is the product order code of the GS724TPv2 switch in Europe and UK. 

- Does this switch support disabling PoE ports via SNMP like described here for the 48 port version?:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Smart-Plus-Click-Switches/Switch-GS728TP-POE-Admin-enable-disable-v...

I'm aiming to "reset" PoE devices automatically using scripting and an SNMP agent.

I believe this is also possible for the GS724TPv2.  

- Does the switch support IGMP v3, which is needed for some german TV streaming offers like Telekom Entertain etc.

Yes, the GS724TPv2 switch supports IGMP Snooping v3.  As reference, kindly read page 5 of the GS724TPv2 Data Sheet here.  

- Does somebody know, what is the power consumption of that switch when no devices are connected? And how many watts are approx. added per non-PoE connected port/device?

As per page 8 of the GS724TPv2 Data Sheet here, the Maximum Power Consumption (worst case, all ports used, full PoE, line-rate traffic) is 228.53W while the Maximum Power Consumption without PoE (worst case, all ports used, full PoE, line-rate traffic) is 21.62W.

- The fan in this model has been reported to be very loud. Is this still an issue with the recent v2 version?

As far as I have checked my resources, the GS724TPv2 switch meets the specifications when measured in noise laboratory following the ANSI strict requirements.  If ever the fan produces loud noise which is not normal, then it could be a hardware fault, an RMA can be process.

- Is Amazon considered an "authorized reseller" in terms of ProSafe Lifetime Warranty program that (hopefully) applies to that switch as well?

Amazon is one of the Authorized NETGEAR Resellers.  As reference, check this link.  As for the warranty, even though the NETGEAR device is purchased from Amazon, it still follows what is indicated on the article here

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @vguna,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

The GS724TP-200EUS is the product order code of the GS724TPv2 switch in Europe and UK. 

I believe this is also possible for the GS724TPv2.  

- Does the switch support IGMP v3, which is needed for some german TV streaming offers like Telekom Entertain etc.

Yes, the GS724TPv2 switch supports IGMP Snooping v3.  As reference, kindly read page 5 of the GS724TPv2 Data Sheet here.  

As per page 8 of the GS724TPv2 Data Sheet here, the Maximum Power Consumption (worst case, all ports used, full PoE, line-rate traffic) is 228.53W while the Maximum Power Consumption without PoE (worst case, all ports used, full PoE, line-rate traffic) is 21.62W.

As far as I have checked my resources, the GS724TPv2 switch meets the specifications when measured in noise laboratory following the ANSI strict requirements.  If ever the fan produces loud noise which is not normal, then it could be a hardware fault, an RMA can be process.

Amazon is one of the Authorized NETGEAR Resellers.  As reference, check this link.  As for the warranty, even though the NETGEAR device is purchased from Amazon, it still follows what is indicated on the article here

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 8
vguna
Guide

Thank you very much for the quick and precise answer!

Message 3 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@DaneA, wouldn't be the newer GS728TPv2/GS728TPPv2/GS752TPv2/GS752TPP model line be the better choice?

Do these support the same SMTP power MIBs?

Message 4 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@schumaku

I inquired your post to the higher tier of NETGEAR Support and just got a feedback.  As per the higher tier of NETGEAR Support, a different MIB is needed for GS728TPv2/GS728TPPv2/GS752TPv2/GS752TPP switches. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@DaneA wrote:

I inquired your post to the higher tier of NETGEAR Support and just got a feedback.  As per the higher tier of NETGEAR Support, a different MIB is needed for GS728TPv2/GS728TPPv2/GS752TPv2/GS752TPP switches. 

So does the MIB for this switch line cover the power functionality (same or similar OID) as shown above to disable and enable the PoE by port?

I understand that there are different MIBs required, that's OK (execpt that most MIB are still absent from the support downloads ... that part I will never understand!)

Message 6 of 8
vguna
Guide

@schumaku wrote:

@DaneA, wouldn't be the newer GS728TPv2/GS728TPPv2/GS752TPv2/GS752TPP model line be the better choice?

That's also a good question. From the specs those new models seem to produce less noise. Besides those additional 2 SFP ports (ignoring the bigger PoE+ power support), is there anything else why one should spend more money on those newer models?
E.g. GS728TPv2 instead of GS724TPv2

Message 7 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@vguna wrote:

@schumaku wrote:

That's also a good question. 

Thank you 8-)

Beyond what is visible in the specs, I would expect some two or three years longer time of full support and update.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements