× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS724Tv3 VLan tagging issues

Knyix
Tutor

GS724Tv3 VLan tagging issues

Hello all!,

Forgive me if I misformat this a bit as I am new to the forum

Recently I came into owning a Netgear Prosafe GS724Tv3 and I am planning on using it as the core switch for my virtualization rack at my home lab. I ran into some issues properly configuring VLANs, I (to the best of my knowledge) seem to have built a proper configuration but it appears as if my traffic is not getting tagged and my ESXi on a trunked port is not able to send VLAN traffic and can only communicate with a VLAN of 0.

Any advice would be welcome! attached are a few images of my configuration

Imgur: Model + Boot / Software version 

imgur: VLANs defined 

imgur: VLAN 10 ports 

imgur: VLAN 20 ports 

imgur: VLAN 30 ports 

imgur: VLAN 40 ports 

imgur: PVID Configuration 

ESXi configuration included to demonstrate how I troubleshot the issue, I am including it primarily to make sure that my troubleshooting steps diagnosed the issue properly

imgur: ESXi vSwitch + Port Groups 

To troubleshoot I configured the VLANs as above and attempted to obtain a DHCP IP address on VLAN 10 to no success, added the DHCP TEST portgroup on VLAN 0 and was able to successfully get an IP address

The ESXi is plugged into ports 24 and 22 and I access the device via port 23.

Thank you!

Model: GS724Tv3|24 ports ProSafe Gigabit Smart switch
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Knyix
Tutor

I found the issue!,

luckily when I was diagnosing the vSwitch as you mentioned I seem to have come accross the problem being,

and do I feel very dumb for not realizing this sooner, I had the two cables connecting the ESXi in the opposite ports,

so the correctly tagged VLAN 10 traffic was allowing me to manage the ESXi and the PVID with an untagged port was not allowing me to tag my own VLAN traffic.

I was able to test this and verify it is all functioning as intended,

thank you for all the help and I appriciate you taking your time on my problem!

and I am sorry it was such a small issue!

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

There are several VLAN configured with the same ports untagged - this is not a plain standard VLAN config, this kind of asymetrical VLAN will cause issues. Use only tagged ports for any kind of trunks (where you want to access mutiple VLAN from the vSwitch). Run only one untgged VLAN to one port, and set the PVID to the same VLAN. 

Message 2 of 8
Knyix
Tutor

Thank you for your response!,

I believe I am a bit confused,

For VLAN 40 Ports 1-6 are untagged - Port 24 is tagged - all others have no membership

For VLAN 30 Ports 7-12 are untagged - Port 24 is tagged - all others have no membership

For VLAN 20 Ports 13-18 are untagged - Port 24 is tagged - all others have no membership

For VLAN 10 Ports 19-23 are untagged - Port 24 is tagged - all others have no membership

does the asymetry occur because I have multiple instances of ports with no membership to that VLAN?

It appears as if all untagged ports belong to a single VLAN and PVIDS match to the VLAN and physical port.

Thank you again!

Message 3 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Oh sorry for the confusion - I must have had opened the same Imgur link multiple times - ignore what I wrote above.

Everything on the port 24 (VLAN 10, 20, 30, and 40) must be tagged on the Vmware side.

Ensure the PVID on the untaged port does match the VLAN ID - otherwise the traffic flowing to the switch will end on a wrong subnet (as defined by the PVID of course).

Message 4 of 8
Knyix
Tutor

I have re-configured PVIDs and yet it appears as if no traffic is being properly tagged as the vSwitch must strip off vlans to communicate.

I've personally run out of ideas but if you know anything else it would be greatly appriciated

thanks!

Message 5 of 8
schumaku
Guru

If you want to support multipe VLAN on a vSwitch in VST mode, there must be tagging - except for the default VLAN 0 and 4095. https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1004074

Message 6 of 8
Knyix
Tutor

I found the issue!,

luckily when I was diagnosing the vSwitch as you mentioned I seem to have come accross the problem being,

and do I feel very dumb for not realizing this sooner, I had the two cables connecting the ESXi in the opposite ports,

so the correctly tagged VLAN 10 traffic was allowing me to manage the ESXi and the PVID with an untagged port was not allowing me to tag my own VLAN traffic.

I was able to test this and verify it is all functioning as intended,

thank you for all the help and I appriciate you taking your time on my problem!

and I am sorry it was such a small issue!

Message 7 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Hey no problem! There are always the small nifty details... Happy your set-up is up and running now. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements