× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS724Tv3 fails to boot after firmware update

bod4000
Aspirant

GS724Tv3 fails to boot after firmware update

Hi

We just tried to update our NETGEAR GS724Tv3 switches firmware last night, from version (v4.2.1.9) to (v5.4.2.30) after doing this, now fails to boot and I can't access it via the IP address or see any network activity on the switch, just the power light.

Have tried to do both a reset and a factory reset, from the provided buttons on the front of the switch and both did nothing to recover.

Can the switch be recovered, or does it need to be replaced as I know it under warranty and registered?

Thank you for your time, helping me.

Alex

Model: GS724Tv3|24-port ProSAFE Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi bod4000,

The firmware v4.2.1.9 is an old firmware version.  It is not advisable to upgrade straight to the latest v5.4.2.30.  It is recommended to upgrade the firmware in a ladderized manner.  For example, upgrade the firmware from v4.2.1.9 to v5.0.2.14 then from v5.0.2.14 to v5.0.2.15 and so on until you reach the latest firmware version which is v5.4.2.30.  

Since you have already tried to factory reset the GS724Tv3 switch and still it won't boot up normally, I suggest you to open a chat / online case with NETGEAR Support and let them know what happened to your switch.  Attach a .doc or .pdf copy of the Proof of Purchase or Sales Invoice of the GS724Tv3 switch to the chat / online case for warranty verification.  If ever the hardware warranty is still valid, an online replacement will follow.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi bod4000,

The firmware v4.2.1.9 is an old firmware version.  It is not advisable to upgrade straight to the latest v5.4.2.30.  It is recommended to upgrade the firmware in a ladderized manner.  For example, upgrade the firmware from v4.2.1.9 to v5.0.2.14 then from v5.0.2.14 to v5.0.2.15 and so on until you reach the latest firmware version which is v5.4.2.30.  

Since you have already tried to factory reset the GS724Tv3 switch and still it won't boot up normally, I suggest you to open a chat / online case with NETGEAR Support and let them know what happened to your switch.  Attach a .doc or .pdf copy of the Proof of Purchase or Sales Invoice of the GS724Tv3 switch to the chat / online case for warranty verification.  If ever the hardware warranty is still valid, an online replacement will follow.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
bod4000
Aspirant

DaneA

Thank you for getting back to me, I spoke to NETGEAR Support on the phone after what you have said and have got it sorted now. They are sending a replacement model after explaining what had happened.

Thank you for replying to my message, and for your help.

Alex

Message 3 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@bod4000,

Thanks for the update.  I'm glad to know that NETGEAR Support helped you and you will get a replacement switch. 🙂 

Since a replacement switch is on its way and the problem has been resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements