Highlighted
Aspirant

GS724Tv4 Full Duplex Status and LAGS configuration

I have a brand new ProSafe GS724Tv4 switch which I am trying to configure for teaming using 802.3ad. It has the latest firmware (6.3.1.4) and is at factory default settings.

On the Port Configuration web page, 'Physical Status' for all my 1000 Mbps ports is simply showing '1000 Mbps' but does not include the usual status which should be '1000 Mbps Full Duplex'. Can any other users confirm this behavior?

All other links within the network are showing as 1000 Mbps Full Duplex on the respective NICs. Is it possible to have one end of the link at full duplex and the other not?

Also, the LAG configuration page is totally screwed up compared with earlier ProSafe switches I have. Instead of showing LAG1, LAG2, LAG3 etc, it shows ch1 through to ch26 ... clearly impossible to even have that many lags!

Any other users of this switch seeing the same issues??? Thanks
Prodigy

Re: GS724Tv4 Full Duplex Status and LAGS configuration

rmh007 wrote:
Is it possible to have one end of the link at full duplex and the other not?

Theoretically it's not possible, real life does not always follow theory - the systems are supposed to autonegotiate speed & duplex settings, however the autonegotiation will occasionally fail and the two ends will set up differently - it's usually obvious that a problem exists - it either doesn't work at all, or if it does the performance is significantly degraded.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Aspirant

Fordam, thanks for your prompt reply.

It's sounding like it's possibly a programming issue in this particular firmware. Given the firmware was published early last year, I'd really appreciate hearing from any other GS724Tv4 owners using firmware 6.3.1.4 to know if they are also experiencing the same issues. If they are, I'm very surprised this hasn't been dealt with via another firmware upgrade in the intervening period, along with the LAGS configuration issue.

I've established a support case via an online chat this afternoon. The support guy could only say it was possibly an error, but would get back with more information, although could give no time frame on how long that would take.

I'll pass on anything I hear from NetGEAR support about the issue.

Thanks in advance for any other input.
Aspirant

For info of other GS724Tv4 switch users, the response received from NetGEAR support:

This is with regard to your inquiry on the Port Speed Status on the switch. The status on the switch does not show full-duplex because it has already been designed that way. The reason for this is because Gigabit connection is automatically on Full Duplex. So there's no need to show that it is on Full Duplex.

I understand that this made a confusion because of what was stated on the manual. I personally apologize for that. But as what the Engineers have confirmed. This is by design and there's no fault on the switch.
Aspirant

Full duplex status s and LAGS configuration, please check whether its allowed or not before they can be used by multiple member.

We deal VIOP Phones Dallas

Guide

1Gbps/1000Mbps is ALWAYS full duplex, thus saying/showing Full Duplex in the status is redundent.

Tutor

Are they saying that they don't autonegotiate duplex on gigabit ports?

By the way, if you want to know if two sides can fail to autonegotiate correctly, the answer is yes - very rarely, but yes.

I have an article I wrote that talks about this briefly: http://assimilationsystems.com/2015/12/23/three-simple-network-best-practices/

Guide

Gigabit can not ever be half duplex.. 

Tutor

According to the IETF it can be. This is pasted from RFC 3636.

dot3MauType1000BaseTHD OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "Four-pair Category 5 UTP, half duplex mode"
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Std.], Section 40"
           ::= { dot3MauType 29 }

dot3MauType1000BaseTFD OBJECT-IDENTITY
           STATUS      current
           DESCRIPTION "Four-pair Category 5 UTP, full duplex mode"
           REFERENCE   "[IEEE 802.3 Std.], Section 40"
           ::= { dot3MauType 30 }

They in turn appeal to the 802.3 standard. I have no idea if anyone *implements* half duplex at gigabit, but the spec says they can. Dell talks about it here: http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/power/en/ps1q01_hernan?c=us&l=en&cs=04 and specifically mentions duplex as part of the autonegotiation process. This implies to me that at least some devices will try and do this. I'd check the IEEE spec, but getting it is a bit of a pain.

But it seems to me that it's only redundant because it's not implemented by the Netgear switch. I don't care if they do or if they don't as long as they perform the autonegotiation correctly with a device that does implement it.

Discussion Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Top Contributors
User Kudos Count