× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS724Tv4 all connected activity leds flashing constantly

No_Jah
Aspirant

GS724Tv4 all connected activity leds flashing constantly

I just replaced my recenlty deseased second hand GS724v2 for a GS724tv4 and i am bit overwhelmed with all the new settings and options.

The first thing I did after unboxing the switch was updating the firmare to latest version (6.3.1.16), then I created 2 new vlans.

VLAN ID: 4 named WAN containing port 1-5 that is connected to my cable modem and WAN port 1 on my SRX5308 router.

VLAN ID: 5 named LAN containing port 6-24 that is connected to switch port 1 on the SRX5308 router and the rest of my network.

The issue I have is that all the connected ports activity leds are flashing constantly whether they have any activity or not,  like there is something broadcating across the network, I didn't see that behaviour when usting my now dead GS724Tv2, or the FS726T that I used temporarily while the GS724Tv4 switch was delivered.

Other than that everything is working normally so maybe this is normal behaviour for this switch, or have I perhaps messed something up setting up the switch?

Model: GS724Tv4|ProSAFE 24-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
No_Jah
Aspirant

Re: GS724Tv4 all connected activity leds flashing constantly

I think I got it figured now.

I hadn't set PVIDs for the corresponding VLANs, all interfaces had PVID 1.

Now interface 1-5 have PVID 4, and Interface 6-24 have PVID 5.

And now the activity leds have stopped flashing for non active ports.

Is this the correct way to do this? And should the default VLAN be left as it is

Luckily I didn't change the PVID of all the intefaces at once because the switch became unreachable when I changed the the PVID on the interface I was connected to. But after changing the Management VLAN ID number I got it working again. I there to not have a speciffic Management VLAN ID so it's possible to manage the switch using any VLAN IDs?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 9

All Replies
Carl_z
NETGEAR Expert

Hi No_Jah

Welcome to Netgear Community!

I think there may be some protocal messages in your network so that enven no activity ports still flashing .

can you help to do the following steps to make sure. 

1.select a port on switch and make sure there no activity on this port.

2. observe the led

3. If it flashing  ,check port statistics via “monitoring>ports>port statistics”.(clear fistly ,waiting about 10 seconds then check it again )

4. If the statistics is only thousands of, I think it normal ,just keep eye on it to make sure it would not effect your network.

5. If there huge munber of statistics,please feed back ,we need to find where these traffic from.

Best Regards

Carl

Netgear Employee

Message 2 of 9
No_Jah
Aspirant

I think I got it figured now.

I hadn't set PVIDs for the corresponding VLANs, all interfaces had PVID 1.

Now interface 1-5 have PVID 4, and Interface 6-24 have PVID 5.

And now the activity leds have stopped flashing for non active ports.

Is this the correct way to do this? And should the default VLAN be left as it is

Luckily I didn't change the PVID of all the intefaces at once because the switch became unreachable when I changed the the PVID on the interface I was connected to. But after changing the Management VLAN ID number I got it working again. I there to not have a speciffic Management VLAN ID so it's possible to manage the switch using any VLAN IDs?

Message 3 of 9
Carl_z
NETGEAR Expert

Hi No_Jah ,

Gland to here you out of trouble,congratulations~

It is correct to set interface 1-5 have PVID 4, and Interface 6-24 have PVID 5.

You can define management vlan,and can only access to switch from a interface  which belong to it and pvid is the management vlan id.

Regards

Carl

Message 4 of 9
No_Jah
Aspirant

Ok, so no way to access the management from multiple PVIDs then?

I'm also a bit confused about the default VLA/LAG configuration

The default VLAN called default includes all 26 ports untagged, and it also includes 26 untagged LAGs?

And when you look at the default LAG configuration ther are 26 LAG called ch1-ch26, what are they ment for?

Message 5 of 9
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi No_Jah

No you won't be able to access Switch Management CPU (web interface on Smart Managed switches) from other VLANs, you will access it only from the Management VLAN. This is the whole point of Management VLAN. 

You say Multiple PVIDs, well this is extra information. There can be only one PVID per port (the untag traffic coming from VLAN-unaware device), that will be tagged into the corresponding PVID VLAN by the port. If you are on a PC without VLAN configured o on it, so VLAN-unaware, then yes you will be able to access Switch Management interface only from a port with PVID = Management VLAN.

On NETGEAR switches, factory default configuration is:

- VLAN 1 = Management VLAN in VLAN database

- All ports PVID set to VLAN 1

Yes, all LAGs are by default set to PVID = VLAN 1 as well.

For your question about the 26 LAGs called ch1-ch26: the Ling Aggregation Groups are provisionned in the system already. You can configure 26 different LAGs on this given switch, the first one is called ch1, the second one ch2 etc.. No physical ports are assigned to these LAGs yet, they are all empty, ready to use. If you need to form a LAG, select the first one ch1 for instance, and start configure it per your needs for link aggregation and/or uplinks. 

Let us know if it helps!

Regards,

Message 6 of 9
No_Jah
Aspirant

Ok, are those 26 LAGs safe to remove, I find it unneccessary to have stuff configured that are not in use.

And besides a LAG must consists of at least 2 ports to function, and since this switch have 26 posts there can be no more than 13 usable LAGs?

Message 7 of 9
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

These LAGs are not configured per se: they are only provisioned in the system.

You cannot remove the provisioning, again this is not configuration: they are blank if you wish.

To answer your question, sometimes a LAG can have one port configured, only. In reality, LAG capacity is equal to the switch port count on this switch for convenience. This way a port can have a configuration A as a physical port, and a configuration B provisioned under a 1-port LAG that is switchable by enabling or disabling the LAG. 

Regards,

Message 8 of 9
No_Jah
Aspirant

Ah, ok. I think I understand.
Thanks you for your help, and your patience.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements