× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS728TP Enable/Disable Port on a Schedule

indebridge
Aspirant

GS728TP Enable/Disable Port on a Schedule

Can I set up the switch to automatically enable and a specific port on a schedule? For example, enable port at 0700, disable port at 1200, enable port at 1500, and disable port at 2000.  I'm looking to control not only PoE, but traffic as well.

Thanks

Model: GS728TP|ProSAFE 24-port PoE Smart Switch with 8 PoE+-port
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: GS728TP Enable/Disable Port on a Schedule

Hi indebridge,

Welcome to our community!

The switches doesn't have the capability to enable / disable the ports by schedule. If you want, you may suggest or recommend it in our Ideas Exchange for Business board. NETGEAR is open for any recommendations.

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi indebridge,

Welcome to our community!

The switches doesn't have the capability to enable / disable the ports by schedule. If you want, you may suggest or recommend it in our Ideas Exchange for Business board. NETGEAR is open for any recommendations.

Regards,

Message 2 of 5
indebridge
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply,

I guess I'll just pick up the cheapest 4-5 port switch I can find and set up the power supply for it on a outlet timer like you'd use on christmas lights.  It might not be as refined as I'd like, but the simplicity and reliability will be hard to beat.

Message 3 of 5
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@indebridge,

I agree with you on that. May I know what is your purpose of having the ports to be scheduled?

Regards,

Message 4 of 5
indebridge
Aspirant

So bear with me here, I’m very new to all of this.  I have two networks running side by side.  The first is configured to run our IP phones, clocks, and access points. The second contains the satellite internet and the network drops for the primary computers.  In order to provide internet access via WiFi for personal use, we have the two connected.  However, since our internet is satellite based, it is easily worked at capacity by the first network causing the primary computers to lose all productivity.  The secondary network is locked down by the impossible to get a hold of home office, so I can’t change anything there, our work around is to disconnect the two networks during the times of heavy primary computer use.  I was hoping to be able to put this schedule into the switch so it wouldn’t have to be done manually.  I’m open to any thoughts or suggestions on other ways to manage this.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements