× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS728TP - Security - IEEE 802.1x support

Frederiek
Aspirant

GS728TP - Security - IEEE 802.1x support

Hi,

I have got this GS728TP switch at the office, and I was looking for information on whether the device supports IEEE 802.1x port authentication. I found that it does on following web page.

https://www.netgear.com/business/products/switches/smart/GS728TP.aspx#tab-features

However, there's something that is not clear to me. The Security section on this page has 2 bullet points mentioning IEEE 802.1x.

• IEEE 802.1x port authentication - MD5: FS526Tv2, FSS728TPv2, FS728TLP, GS108Tv2, GS110TP, GS510TP
  • IEEE 802.1x port authentication - EAP: GS516TP, GS716Tv3, GS724Tv4, GS748Tv5, GS752T

First off all, I'm confused about what "MD5" and "EAP" indicate here. Isn't MD5 one of the authentication methods used with EAP? And isn't EAP like the framework that supports different authentication methods, and not an authentication mechanism in itself?

Some I'm not understanding the differentiation that is made here. 

Secondly, why are these model numbers listed at the end of the bullet point? Does it mean only these model numbers support this type of authentication method? If so, since GS728TP is not listed, does that mean the GS728TP model does not support these methods?

I'm new to this, so please bear with me.

Regards,

Frederiek

Model: GS728TP|ProSafe 24 ports PoE Smart switch with 8 PoE+ ports
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS728TP - Security - IEEE 802.1x support

Don't be confused, just some old text - Netgear used to have product listed on some text even in the KB. Here is the point is that some these switches (older models) only support MD5 challenge/response - what might be depreciated and no longer supported by decent supplicants.

This might be more informative: How do I configure 802.1X-based authentication on a smart switch? 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS728TP - Security - IEEE 802.1x support

Don't be confused, just some old text - Netgear used to have product listed on some text even in the KB. Here is the point is that some these switches (older models) only support MD5 challenge/response - what might be depreciated and no longer supported by decent supplicants.

This might be more informative: How do I configure 802.1X-based authentication on a smart switch? 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements