× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS728TXS x27 and x28 SFP+ Slots Not Working

havoc7701
Initiate

GS728TXS x27 and x28 SFP+ Slots Not Working

Hello, I have a GS728TXS upgraded to the latest 6.1.0.36 firmware. I have 10G links working fine on xg25 & xg26 ports. I've tried 2 different brands of DAC cable as well as SFP+ SR 10G transceivers listed as AXM761 compatible which work fine. The problem is the last 2 10G ports: I have tried both types of physical cables and 2 different SFP+ optical modules on the last x27 and x28 slots with no working links. The port LED shows 10G green link with activity blinking but the admin UI shows links are down in "detach" status. Ping tests from the connected servers fail. I've searched through the documentation and couldn't find any specific settings to enable these last two ports, nor do I see any limitations on populating all 4 10G ports with non-uplink, non-stack network connections.

See attached screenshot. Am I missing a configuration setting in the admin UI or do I have a hardware issue on those last 2 switch ports? The switch is used and long out of warranty.

Model: GS728TXS|ProSAFE Smart Switch with 10G fiber
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS728TXS x27 and x28 SFP+ Slots Not Working

Reads like the two SFP+ are in the (default) stacking mode - System > Stacking > Advanced > Stack-port Configuration

Not sure the Device View works (because of the no longer browser supported Java usage) for you - unplugged, if the SFP+ port(s) is/are shown in grey, they are in the default stacking mode - if they are white, they are in Ethernet mode.

Enjoy!

Regards,

-Kurt

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Reads like the two SFP+ are in the (default) stacking mode - System > Stacking > Advanced > Stack-port Configuration

Not sure the Device View works (because of the no longer browser supported Java usage) for you - unplugged, if the SFP+ port(s) is/are shown in grey, they are in the default stacking mode - if they are white, they are in Ethernet mode.

Enjoy!

Regards,

-Kurt

Message 2 of 3
havoc7701
Initiate

BINGO Kurt, this was exactly the issue. Somehow I missed this info in the documentation. I changed away from the default to Ethernet mode, rebooted the switch and the last 2 SFP+ ports work as expected. Thanks!

For anyone else, this configuration is covered in the GS752TXS and GS728TXS Software Administration Manual page 61.

Model: GS728TXS|ProSAFE Smart Switch with 10G fiber
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements