× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS748TP Switch How much Power does it consume?

GS748TP Switch How much Power does it consume?

This might sound mad but our electrictiy bill is huge and the only new suspect is the GS748TP switch we installed a while back.

Could it be that this is consuming the juice? It certainly sounds like a 747 on stand with those fans.

I have PoE optioned on but actually no ports are actually using PoE right now. Coulkd that be it?

Appreciate any knowledge or advice anyone has. Does a PoE port consumption only go up when a PoE device connected or are all 48 ports whacking out 15w's?

Many thanks in advance

Model: GS748TP|ProSAFE 48-port Gigabit Smart Switches with PoE
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions

Re: GS748TP Switch How much Power does it consume?

Hi John and thanks for the follow up. Happy to close off the issue but have a couple of follow ups which I guess is more logical to post separately. Many thanks for your assistance with this one.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi moonwatcher64,

Welcome to our community!

I believe this GS748TP has a max power budget of 384W. Once the ports are not being used, it will not provide any power. It will automatically shut off because of its auto-sensing feature. It might be better if you could remove it first to your network just to isolate the case.

Here is the datasheet of the GS748TP. 

Regards,

Message 2 of 6

Hi John and thanks for the feedback.

This is what I 'sort of' rationalised but good to hear it from more skilled people.

And for sure I think it's worth to drop it out of the environment to see how that affects the house electricty consumption.

Just out of interest, if I were to replace the unit with another Netgear 48 port Giga switch (for home use) that had low power consumption what might you suggest? I'm thinking to maybe keep the PoE element separate...on a separate switch. The GS748 is incredibily noisey.

Many thanks

Message 3 of 6
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@moonwatcher64,

I suggest you to use one of our unmanaged switches as some of it doesn't have any internal fans. But we only have a 24-port switch for that which is the JGS524v2.

Regards,

Message 4 of 6
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@moonwatcher64,

I would like to have a follow up on this thread. Please let us know if everything works ok now or you still need further assistance. Just in case that the reply was the solution to your problem, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 5 of 6

Hi John and thanks for the follow up. Happy to close off the issue but have a couple of follow ups which I guess is more logical to post separately. Many thanks for your assistance with this one.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements