× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS752TP - Slow Web Interface

EFaden
Aspirant

GS752TP - Slow Web Interface

Anyone else have this problem? The web interface is so slow as to almost become unusable. It loads the background then just hangs for a good 20 to 30 seconds. Sometimes it loads the buttons... sometimes it just sits with a blank background. When I do manage to get into the interface clicking on a button sometimes loads the data... sometimes it just sits there and I have to close the browser and start again? Anyone have suggestions? It is running the latest (also the initial firmware).

-Eric
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
pmapp
Aspirant

I've been having this same problem for some time now.

As a "fix" \ "workaround" \ "bodge" I've used Firefox Portable 3.5.6 to update changes to VLAN\LAG settings.

This really isn't ideal, but does work.

/pokes Netgear with a big pointy stick!

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 15

All Replies
Marto731
Aspirant

GS752TP - Slow Web Interface-- Browser settings

To Eric,
I work in Netgear. I'm fairly sure the issue is browser related.

Can you study the linked articles
[URL="http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23841"]

[URL="http://kb.netgear.com/ci/fattach/get/313/1379347578/redirect/1/filename/Webinterface%20not%20displaying%20properly%20on%20IE8_9_Firefox.pdf"]

Can you report back to the Forum with your comments and editions.

Thank you, Marto
Message 2 of 15
EFaden
Aspirant

Re: GS752TP - Slow Web Interface-- Browser settings

Turns out there is some sort of javascript error. It is a modification not allowed error on line in 756 of globalFunctions.js. It gets triggered on several pages, but the first I found was the LAG config page. Netgear support seems to be ignoring me... but maybe they will fix it. Their response was to use IE6 to 9 in windows...

Pretty lame that they can't manage to support any modern browser on a brand new piece of hardware. Most likely will be using the Cisco 200 series in the future.
Message 3 of 15
adit
Mentor

Which browser are you using?
Message 4 of 15
EFaden
Aspirant

adit wrote:
Which browser are you using?

I have tried Firefox, Chrome, Safari, and Opera. All of the latest versions. Same error on all browsers.
Message 5 of 15
mEDIEVIL
Aspirant

EFaden wrote:
but the first I found was the LAG config page. Netgear support seems to be ignoring me... but maybe they will fix it. Their response was to use IE6 to 9 in windows... .

Has anyone had any luck in this, any tricks to get around it?

In any page that I want to see ports and select them individually, they are just not there. So LAG is where my main need is but I noticed it in Protected ports as well.

I have tried it in Safari, Chrome and Firefox in MAC OS X. (Firefox seems to work the best but definitely not perfect)

and Windows 7, Firefox, Chrome and IE9. I installed an old XP SP2 this morning to get to IE6 and it just didn't want to play at all.

I had assumed it was DOA and am waiting for a replacement but I am now thinking the next one will be the same.
Message 6 of 15
EFaden
Aspirant

mEDIEVIL wrote:
Has anyone had any luck in this, any tricks to get around it?

In any page that I want to see ports and select them individually, they are just not there. So LAG is where my main need is but I noticed it in Protected ports as well.

I have tried it in Safari, Chrome and Firefox in MAC OS X. (Firefox seems to work the best but definitely not perfect)

and Windows 7, Firefox, Chrome and IE9. I installed an old XP SP2 this morning to get to IE6 and it just didn't want to play at all.

I had assumed it was DOA and am waiting for a replacement but I am now thinking the next one will be the same.

From what I was able to figure out is that there are JS errors on several browsers which break the page. I was able to get it to work in IE8... but support just brushed me off saying browser "X" wasn't supported.
Message 7 of 15
mEDIEVIL
Aspirant

EFaden wrote:
I was able to get it to work in IE8... but support just brushed me off saying browser "X" wasn't supported.

That is better news for me as I cant get the web interface to work anywhere near properly in IE6, 7, 8 or 9.

I am hoping that this is now pointing to a dud unit.

In IE, the first page that loads after password entry is blank , system details etc, etc. In FireFox this page appears somewhat correct.
I am crossing my fingers it is just a DOA unit.

I have tried to flash the unit with the firmware again as per Netgear support request but does not make a difference.
Message 8 of 15
ebixby
Aspirant

EFaden wrote:
I was able to get it to work in IE8...

Thanks for the tip. I was having the exact same problem, and thank goodness I still have a VM sitting around running XP. Serious issue, Netgear, forcing customers to run antiquated browsers to manage their equipment...
Message 9 of 15
jon_witts
Novice

Marto73 wrote:
To Eric,
I work in Netgear. I'm fairly sure the issue is browser related.

Can you study the linked articles
[URL="http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23841"]

[URL="http://kb.netgear.com/ci/fattach/get/313/1379347578/redirect/1/filename/Webinterface%20not%20displaying%20properly%20on%20IE8_9_Firefox.pdf"]

Can you report back to the Forum with your comments and editions.

Thank you, Marto

The first article linked here takes you to a KB which instructs us to make changes to our browser which would slow all other Internet browsing down. I think that this really is an unacceptable expectation from Netgear. These switches should have their web server updated so that they can handle requests from modern browsers.

I am now in a position where I am having increasing difficulty accessing the VLAN pages on my smart switches from any browser at all.

When is this going to be fixed?
Jon :mad:
Message 10 of 15
pmapp
Aspirant

I've been having this same problem for some time now.

As a "fix" \ "workaround" \ "bodge" I've used Firefox Portable 3.5.6 to update changes to VLAN\LAG settings.

This really isn't ideal, but does work.

/pokes Netgear with a big pointy stick!
Message 11 of 15
vanokipiani
Aspirant

I'm glad, that i don't need to install windows 98 with ie5 to configure my switch
Message 12 of 15
holmesmiller
Aspirant

Thanks for this tip. At last I can configure my three new GS748TS switches.

With a five-year-old browser!? This is very poor, NetGear.
Message 13 of 15
Tyson_
Aspirant

I as well am experiencing this.  THe web interface is painfully slow.  Clicking on anything results in a 5-10 second wait, every time.  It's exhausting.  Yes, I've tried all the browsers.  Yes the problem exists with all of them.  With every firmware upgrade I hope that it will be fixed.  Alas, still, even with the latest, still slow.  I really don't fancy spinning up an XP machine just to manage my router...

Message 14 of 15
spizzy74
Aspirant

I also need to be able to configure LAG but cannot using any browser.

This is a real issue. 

Can netgear tell me exactly what browser and version is supported since none of the big 4 browsers arent?

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements