× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS752TPv2: POE enable / disable via SNMP

GS752TPv2: POE enable / disable via SNMP

I noted there is an existing thread on this topic in german that ends with a private message (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Smart-Plus-Smart-Cloud-Switches/Switch-GS752TPv2-POE-Admin-enable-d...)  which is completely unhelpful so I am starting a new thread.

I need to be able to remotely enable / disable POE on ports via SNMP (or whatever other means is available on this switch).  I have a GS752TP on which I can do this without issue via SNMP, but on the newest model I received, this capability does not seem to be supported nor is RFC-3621 listed in supported MIBs on the switch.   

Is there a means to remotely enable / disable POE on a per port basis on this switch?

Doug

Model: GS752TPv2|48-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Smart Managed Pro Switch with 4 SFP Ports (380W)
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions

Re: GS752TPv2: POE enable / disable via SNMP

I bring this thread to conclusion and help anyone that has this issue in the future, my resolution was to purchase (for about $300 more than the GS752TPv2) the GSM7248P (M4100 Series) switch which supports the Power Ethernet MIB (RFC-3621).  

Netgear, please do not remove RFC-3621 support from the GSM7248P!

Doug

View solution in original post

Model: GS752TPv2|48-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Smart Managed Pro Switch with 4 SFP Ports (380W)
Message 11 of 11

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

The other post in English wans't enough, so there was a need to duplicate, too? https://community.netgear.com/t5/Smart-Plus-Click-Switches/GS724TPv2-POE-enable-disable-via-SNMP/m-p...

Message 2 of 11

Same issue, different device. Are the GS724TPv2 and GS752TPv2 similar enough to share the same thread? If so, I can delete this one and post a reply in the other thread about the same issue with the 752.

Thanks.
Doug
Message 3 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@DougShuffield wrote:
Are the GS724TPv2 and GS752TPv2 similar enough to share the same thread?

Oh Doug, Desperaterly sorry please, my bad - I was wrong by four ports! The GS728TPv2 / GS728TPPv2 / GS752TPv2 / GS752TPP share the same firmware, the GS724TPv2 is a different generation.

@Christian_R  one more similar question (or in fact two - looks like the GS728TPv2 / GS728TPPv2 / GS752TPv2 / GS752TPP don't list the Power MIBs, too).

Message 4 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @schumaku  @DougShuffield 

Currently, For GS728TPv2/GS728TPPv2/GS752TPv2/GS752TPP and GS724TPv2 switch, it's only support public mib node.
I will ask our R&D if there is plan to support Private mib node.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

EricZ
NETGEAR employee

Message 5 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

Currently, For GS728TPv2/GS728TPPv2/GS752TPv2/GS752TPP and GS724TPv2 switch, it's only support public mib node.
I will ask our R&D if there is plan to support Private mib node.

Not sure how to understand. public MIB == standard MIB, private MIB == vendor specific MIB? 

But then, the Power-Ethernet-MIB is a standard one, isn't it?

Message 6 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @schumaku 

I mean public mib node is under the SNMP tree 'iso->org->dod->internet->mgmt->mib-2', and private mib nod i sunder the SNMP tree 'iso->org->dod->internet->private', it's usualy named with NETGEAR.

For Power-Ethernet-MIB, below is the description, and it's Netgear private mib node.

Netgear-Power-Ethernet-MIB.jpg

Notes:

Netgear plan to deploy Insight APP to manage these two switch samples, which is support discover and manage switch via APP or Web Portal(installed in PC), and it will support PoE config for port.

More detailed info about Insight Management Solution, please refer to Insight

Hope it helps!

Message 7 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Now you confuse me even more. Power-Ethernet-MIB is RFC 3621 - so not enterprise private, isn't it? But OK, what's not in the RFC can of course be made available in a private MIB. See also @DougShuffield other post on a similar switch but different model release.

And while talking https://kb.netgear.com/000060184/GS728TPv2-GS728TPPv2-GS752TPv2-GS752TPP-Firmware-Version-6-0-0-45
says...
"Notes:
The released zip contains switch firmware (GS728_752TP_TPP_V6.0.0.45.bix) and MIB files. "
...but (again...) no MIB files!

"Netgear plan to deploy Insight APP to manage ...."? Of course, we spotted that the 18 April 2019 GS728TPv2, GS728TPPv2, GS752TPv2 and GS752TPP Data Sheet does talk of "Gigabit PoE+ Smart Managed Pro Switches with Remote/Cloud Management " and " Remote/Cloud Management capability with NETGEAR Insight" - marketing and reality (firmware availability???) are two pair of shoes. Or do we face left-hand and right-hand don't work together problems once more? There are some .. continue reading:

Implementing an Insight agent does not free up Netgear form supporting consistent MIB all over all Smart Managed Pro devices. Especially as Netgear has added SNMP control (at least for the read and trap side [and in a very ugly way - mixing trap and read community, not panning to the WAC, ...]) to Insight. 8-)

And of course, while deploying and updating Insight we wanted to use the SNMP control feature - and found that the SNMP support on the "small" Insight GC switches (GC110xxx/GC510xxx) does not exist. It's a biiig messs. But we're diverting here form the OP problem.

Message 8 of 11

Here is my main issue:

1. The GS752TP ability to enable/disable POE on a per port basis is an integral part of our system design.

2. My first two orders of the GS752TP I received the v1 which works flawlessly.

3. My next order of the GS752TP I received the v2 which, curiously, does not include significant capability for SNMP control that the v1 includes, specifically RFC 3621 MIB support.

Based on my understanding, the v2 may or may not be updated to include this capability integral to my system design, and I surely have no way to determine a timeframe in which this capability will be included.  So I am left, I think, to take the 10 additional Netgear switches I was going to purchase this year, the 100 next year, and the ones that are already in the field and find another switch manufacturer that has the standard RFC 3621 capability that I need that was inexplicably removed from a newer version of the switch I am using.

If there is another method to control POE on a per port basis besides SNMP with the v2, I am all ears.  Otherwise, I've got to replace Netgear in the design of our system.

Doug

Message 9 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @DougShuffield 

Thanks for your suggestion!

We will push R&D to evaluate the feasibility to support private SNMP mib on these Smart Switch samples.

Regards,

EricZ

Message 10 of 11

I bring this thread to conclusion and help anyone that has this issue in the future, my resolution was to purchase (for about $300 more than the GS752TPv2) the GSM7248P (M4100 Series) switch which supports the Power Ethernet MIB (RFC-3621).  

Netgear, please do not remove RFC-3621 support from the GSM7248P!

Doug

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements