× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GSS108E: firmware upgrade timeout

thsturm
Aspirant

GSS108E: firmware upgrade timeout

Hi all,

I was trying to upgrade the firmare of my GSS108E to version 1.0.0.1. The firmware was load until about 40%,

then the "Prosafe Plus Configuraton Utility" reports an timeout.

The "PPC Utility" shows a stare beside the switch name and will always only try to load the firmware.

How can I finish the firmware upgrade?

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Eaglehawk
Apprentice

Solution here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Smart-Plus-Click-Switches/Web-firmware-upgrade-for-GS108Ev3-failing...

Enjoy.

Summary: Enter a manual arp entry for the IP and MAC address of your GSS108E. Expect Netgear engineers to think you're talking about the GS108E 🙂

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello thsturm, 

Welcome to the community! 

I understand you are having some issues with updating the firmware of your GS108E, let me help you with that. First, you want to make sure that you are using the latest version of the utility. Other things to check, make sure that there are no firewalls enabled on your PC that can affect the upload and you are using a computer directly plugged in to the switch when uploading. 

I hope it helps! 

Thanks,

Message 2 of 7
thsturm
Aspirant

Hello JohnRo,

sorry to disappoint you: I am using the newest utility (V2.3.5, actially downloaded!)

My setup: Lenovo laptop with Windows 10, PSP Utillity V2.3.5, switch direct connected to the laptop, the laptop NIC is in the same subnetwork as the switch, the utility finds the switch, the 1000M led is on, after the product name is a star (GSS108E*),

selecting and [Apply] opens a window for the firmware binary, selecting the fw and clicking [Ok], the firmware loads up to 47% and then a window: "Firmware Upgrade TFTP Time out!"

Message 3 of 7
Eaglehawk
Apprentice

Solution here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Smart-Plus-Click-Switches/Web-firmware-upgrade-for-GS108Ev3-failing...

Enjoy.

Summary: Enter a manual arp entry for the IP and MAC address of your GSS108E. Expect Netgear engineers to think you're talking about the GS108E 🙂

Message 4 of 7
thsturm
Aspirant

Hi Eaglehawk,

thank you for your hint: I finally updated my GSS108E 🙂

The "arp -a" did not work on Win10: access denied, even if I started 'cmd.exe' or 'PowerShell' as admin 😞

Your last post (use "interface ipv4 add neighbors ...") did it finally.

Thank you: I learnt something new again!

Message 5 of 7
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello thsturm and Eaglehawk, 

I'm replying to also give a kudos to @Eaglehawk. There was an issue with the forwarding rate of the ARP packets on FW 1.0.0.0, this was fixed on FW 1.0.0.1. I am glad you were able to update the firmware of your device! 

Thanks, 

Message 6 of 7
Eaglehawk
Apprentice

The kudos should really go to lexav, they posted the actual soution. Thanks anyway 🙂

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements