× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GSS116E Drops off of network every few days

Marc_442
Aspirant

GSS116E Drops off of network every few days

I have a GSS116E that drops off of the network every few days, cycling the power once usually resolves the issue, but on occasion, i need to cycle the power a couple of times.

At the time of the issue all devices connected to the switch drop as well. Activity and link lights are lit and indicate that everything is OK, when clearly it is not. If one of the devices is unplugged, there is no change in the port lights either (I thought that was particularly strange)

I've tried to update the firmware, but there does not appear to be an available update.

I've done a factory reset, switched cables and ports to the router ... is there anything else I can try?

Model: GSS116E|ProSAFE 16-port Gigabit Click Switch
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Marc_442, 

It's weird, there is something going with the switch. I'd try another factory reset, but if it will still display the same issue please go ahead and contact our support team

Thanks,

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Marc_442, 

Welcome to the community! 

It appears that you have isolated the issue already. One more thing left, when you bypass the switch are you experiencing the same issue? When it drops off the network, does your devices lose thier IP address? What's the status of the lights when the issue occurs? 

Thanks,

Message 2 of 7
Marc_442
Aspirant

Hi John,

The devices do NOT lose their IP address, if I disonnect any one of them from the switch and connect directly to my router, they immediately start responding to pings.

The lights apear normal, but any disconnected port does not change the light status (in other words the link light remains on even after disconnecting from the switch)

Model: GSS116E|ProSAFE 16-port Gigabit Click Switch
Message 3 of 7
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Marc_442, 

It's weird, there is something going with the switch. I'd try another factory reset, but if it will still display the same issue please go ahead and contact our support team

Thanks,

Message 4 of 7
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Marc_442, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks,

Message 5 of 7
Marc_442
Aspirant

Hello John,

I contacted support and after some troubleshooting, I have an RMA in process.

Message 6 of 7
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Marc_442, 

Alright, it appears that it is a hardware issue all along. I'm hopeful that the replacement unit will work to fit your network needs without any issue. Thank you for the update.

Have a great day! 

Thanks,

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements