× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Gaming connection issues

WiseguySR
Aspirant

Gaming connection issues

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for help to figure out how I can get my gaming cafe to be able to get more than one gamer online at a time.   Let me first start off by saying that not all games see this issue.  It primarly the Battlefield series and the new Halo 5.   Other games such as League of Legends, Call of Duty, Warcraft, etc. do not have this issue.  I have Comcast business as my ISP and I am using the GS748Tv4 smart switch.  

To provide some background, I do have 10 gaming PC's, 10 Xbox One's, 3 PS4's and 15 Xbox 360s.   The issues are primarly the Xbox One, PS4's and occasionaly the PC's (If playing Battlefield series, and we did see the issue with the new Starwars Battlefront while testing beta)

I'm not able to find anyone who can help me understand what is causing the problem.  All I do know is that when I have more than one gamer attempting to play online with the new Halo 5, other gamers are kicked out of the game once they attempt to connect.   This even happens in "Custom" games which is basically "LAN" game.  

I have attempted port forwarding, DMZ's, Disable/Enable UPNP, Wifi, and others, but nothing is working.  This has been a very frustrating experiece and it is impacting my business as no one wants to go to a gaming cafe that you cant play with your friends online.  

If anyone has any insights or suggestions on what I could try, I am all open to ideas! 🙂 

Also note, if I go home on my home network, everything works fine. My boys and I can play online together with no issues.  But when we are at the shop, only one can play online at a time.  (With regards to Halo 5, Battlefield series and a handful of other games)

I did notice that the majority of the games that have issues are from the Electronic Arts (EA) publisher.  I have reached out to them, but they wont respond to any requests.  Halo 5 is the first non EA game that has done this to me. 

Thanks in advance for your help and insight.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @WiseguySR,

@WiseguySR wrote:

I would also like to make it known that I am more than 100% sure it's not the Netgear issue.  

@WiseguySR wrote:

The Netgear switch is working great and I'm not having issues with the majority of the games. 

I am glad that you have confirmed that the GS748Tv4 is working fine with no issues. Smiley Happy  

@WiseguySR wrote:
  1. Is it possible to connect all or some of the gaming PCs, Xbox One, Xbox 360, and PS4 directly to the modem? If yes, are you able to play online just fine?
  • .. same issue.  If i plug directly into the 5 ports available on the Comcast modem, its the same issue

With regard to this, you mentioned from your initial post that you've done port forwarding on the gaming cafe shop.  Have you check if the ports are really opened?  You may use this link to check if the ports for the specific games are really opened.

@WiseguySR wrote:
  1. Is the network setup at your home network the same as with the gaming cafe shop? You may post screenshots of the detailed network setups.
  • Home and work are different, but the concept is still the same.  The Comcast mode for home is differnt than the business calls mode.  At home, I do not have any additional routing or switch involved.  I just use the 5 ports on the modem itself.  As for the business class mode, I go from the wall to the modem then to the Netgear GS748, which then feeds all the machines.  

Did you also open the same ports for the games on the modem/router deployed at your home?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi WiseguySR,

Let us isolate the problem.  Kindly answer the questions below:

a. Is the modem provided by Comcast a modem-only device or a combination of modem-router?

b. Is it possible to connect all or some of the gaming PCs, Xbox One, Xbox 360, and PS4 directly to the modem? If yes, are you able to play online just fine?

c. Is the GS748Tv4 being used as a pass-through switch?

d. Is the network setup at your home network the same as with the gaming cafe shop? You may post screenshots of the detailed network setups.

e. What is the current firmware version of the GS748Tv4?

I look forward to your response.  Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
WiseguySR
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply.  Listed below are the answers to the questions you asked.   I would also like to make it known that I am more than 100% sure it's not the Netgear issue.  My reason for posting was because Comcast and the game companies are not providing any help what so ever.   So I figured I would ask networking people to see if they can shed some light on this. 🙂

1. Is the modem provided by Comcast a modem-only device or a combination of modem-router?
  • The comcast modem is also the gateway which does routing
  1. Is it possible to connect all or some of the gaming PCs, Xbox One, Xbox 360, and PS4 directly to the modem? If yes, are you able to play online just fine?
  • .. same issue.  If i plug directly into the 5 ports available on the Comcast modem, its the same issue
  1. Is the GS748Tv4 being used as a pass-through switch?
  • Yes, I turned off all switching and made is as much like a HUB as I possibly could.
  1. Is the network setup at your home network the same as with the gaming cafe shop? You may post screenshots of the detailed network setups.
  • Home and work are different, but the concept is still the same.  The Comcast mode for home is differnt than the business calls mode.  At home, I do not have any additional routing or switch involved.  I just use the 5 ports on the modem itself.  As for the business class mode, I go from the wall to the modem then to the Netgear GS748, which then feeds all the machines.  
  1. What is the current firmware version of the GS748Tv4?
  • FW version 5.4.2.18

The Netgear switch is working great and I'm not having issues with the majority of the games.  It seems like certain games (mainly EA games and the new Halo 5) are doing some kind of IP check and if it see's more than two devices with the same IP, it kicks the machines off.   This would be so much easier if I could get the gaming companies to reply, but have a cut and paste response that it's my NAT settings or something else.   I'm not ruling out NATing issues, but right now, I got most machines showing up as "Open".   If any of the systems are set to "Strict" then it wont connect for sure. 

I hope this helps a little.  I'm really expecting a miracle at this point. 🙂

Message 3 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @WiseguySR,

@WiseguySR wrote:

I would also like to make it known that I am more than 100% sure it's not the Netgear issue.  

@WiseguySR wrote:

The Netgear switch is working great and I'm not having issues with the majority of the games. 

I am glad that you have confirmed that the GS748Tv4 is working fine with no issues. Smiley Happy  

@WiseguySR wrote:

With regard to this, you mentioned from your initial post that you've done port forwarding on the gaming cafe shop.  Have you check if the ports are really opened?  You may use this link to check if the ports for the specific games are really opened.

@WiseguySR wrote:

Did you also open the same ports for the games on the modem/router deployed at your home?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi WiseguySR,

I just want to verify if your problem/s has been resolved.  

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements