× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

HDMI Over Ethernet With Netgear GSS108E & VLAN Tagging

Tupo
Aspirant

HDMI Over Ethernet With Netgear GSS108E & VLAN Tagging

I am looking to transmit both the USB and HDMI of my PC to the living room TV. I am aware you can stream the PC image but I wish for a pure signal.

I have the following USB over ethernet extender and I will be recieving the other HDMI over ethernet extender for Xmas.

USB: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extender-Repeater-Keyboard-Gamepad-synchronously-USB2-0-U2EX50/dp/B01EV33R8...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/18Gbps-Extender-HDBaseT-Two-way-Uncompressed-4K60Hz-444-18G-4KEX70-H2/dp/B0...

At the moment I have 2 Lan Cables coming from the bedroom / Office to the living room and as to avoid laying down a 3rd cable I was considering a switch at both ends to carry both USB and video.

I already have the GSS108E in the living room and was hoping that by adding a 2nd in the bedroom It may be possible to achieve the desired result. I have contacted the manufacturer and they claim that (at least the) HDMI extender will NOT work via a switch. 

However if I were to setup VLAN tagging on both swiches, would it work? Note I have no experience of VLAN Tagging. So any advice on how to set this up would also be appreciated.

Model: GSS108E|ProSAFE 8-port Gigabit Click Switch
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Re: HDMI Over Ethernet With Netgear GSS108E & VLAN Tagging

Happy to help and I just realized I didn't look up your USB Extender. It turns out this USB kit is NOT IP, it speaks again another (proprietary) language and it's not meant to leverage an Ethernet network. So you're back to:

- The HDBase-T kit that you have selected will use its own, dedicated LAN cable. You must have one independent CAT5e, CAT6 or better LAN cable available between your PC and your TV. In fact, the HDBase-T transmitter (PC side) will send the video from your PC to the HDBase-T receiver (TV side) using a LAN cable in between. This LAN cable cannot go through a switch or anything else, it must be entirely dedicated and straight between the Tx and the Rx.

- The USB kit that you have selected will use its own, dedicated LAN cable. You must have one independent CAT5e, CAT6 or better LAN cable available between your PC and your TV. In fact, the USB transmitter (PC side) will send the USB signals from your PC to the USB receiver (TV side) using a LAN cable in between. This LAN cable cannot go through a switch or anything else, it must be entirely dedicated and straight between the Tx and the Rx. Again.

Net net: you must have two dedicated LAN cables available between your PC and your TV. I originally thought you selected USB-over-IP technology, but you did not.

At this stage, your Ethernet Switch location, usage, and availability don't matter because none of your Audio/Video/USB transport products are Ethernet-based. The title of your post should be understood as HDMI and USB over proprietary extenders because nothing here is actually over-IP.

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @Tupo

VLAN is not the problem, you are procuring an HDBase-T extender that is NOT Ethernet-based, so it's not Video-over-IP. The manufacturer you have contacted is right, this "extender" speaks another language, it's not Ethernet, it's another signal - not IP.  This HDBase-T extender will need a dedicated RJ45 (CAT-5e, CAT6 or better) cable between the transmitter and the receiver.

Three solutions:

1. You have one LAN cable available so you can use it with your HDBase-T kit,  and you can leverage your Ethernet network over your other LAN cables for USB/KVM; this way the USB control would transit through your LAN network and the video would transit through your HDBase-T bridge

2. You don't have a LAN cable available, you can lay down a new LAN cable to achieve the solution 1/ above

3. You cancel your order for the HDBase-T kit and you select a standard Video-over-IP technology, based on 1Gbps (so with compression, H264 CODECs or other) or based on 10Gbps (SDVoE zero-frame latency) that will leverage true Ethernet instead. If you are in the UK, for instance, you can contact ZeeVee,  AV Distribution manufacturer and great NETGEAR partner in the SDVoE Alliance. ZeeVee EMEA Sales Support number is actually in the UK. They sure could help you. 

I hope this will help!

Regards,

Message 2 of 5
Tupo
Aspirant

Thankyou for your incredibly detailed and useful reply. 

Option 3 whilst ideal, is cost prohibitive for this usage scenario, but I appreciate you pointing this option out. This leaves option 1 and 2.

1 further question / Clarification:

Could I have:

1 CAT7 Cable with Switch for the PC & the USB/KVM over ethernet extender or does the same rule apply

1 Cat7 Cable for HDBase-T kit

If 1 CAT7 would work for the PC and USB/KVM do I need 2 new switches or just 1?, I have a single switch in the living room but this is being used.

Your help is greatly appreciated and will help me decide wether or not to lay another CAT7.

Message 3 of 5
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Happy to help and I just realized I didn't look up your USB Extender. It turns out this USB kit is NOT IP, it speaks again another (proprietary) language and it's not meant to leverage an Ethernet network. So you're back to:

- The HDBase-T kit that you have selected will use its own, dedicated LAN cable. You must have one independent CAT5e, CAT6 or better LAN cable available between your PC and your TV. In fact, the HDBase-T transmitter (PC side) will send the video from your PC to the HDBase-T receiver (TV side) using a LAN cable in between. This LAN cable cannot go through a switch or anything else, it must be entirely dedicated and straight between the Tx and the Rx.

- The USB kit that you have selected will use its own, dedicated LAN cable. You must have one independent CAT5e, CAT6 or better LAN cable available between your PC and your TV. In fact, the USB transmitter (PC side) will send the USB signals from your PC to the USB receiver (TV side) using a LAN cable in between. This LAN cable cannot go through a switch or anything else, it must be entirely dedicated and straight between the Tx and the Rx. Again.

Net net: you must have two dedicated LAN cables available between your PC and your TV. I originally thought you selected USB-over-IP technology, but you did not.

At this stage, your Ethernet Switch location, usage, and availability don't matter because none of your Audio/Video/USB transport products are Ethernet-based. The title of your post should be understood as HDMI and USB over proprietary extenders because nothing here is actually over-IP.

Regards,

Message 4 of 5
Tupo
Aspirant

Thankyou Laurent! All is clear now!

You have saved me considerable time and wasted money with your response and I am VERY happy with the assistance provided.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements