× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help with basic VLAN setup for GS748Tv5 required

WouterB
Aspirant

Help with basic VLAN setup for GS748Tv5 required

Hello,

I am attempting to set up two ports on my GS746Tv5 switch to be a member of VLAN ID 100 (and only 100). The goal is for the two computers connected to those ports to be able to see each other on a 192.168.100.x/24 network. In order to achieve that I have first restored the the VLAN configuration to factory default, created a new VLAN (Static) with VLAN ID 100 and made ports 40 and 41 Untagged members of this VLAN. I have removed ports 40 and 41 from VLAN ID 1 by clearing their selections in the port list in the VLAN Membership screen. Also the port PVID configuration is set to 100 for both ports.

With both computers on a fixed IP address (192.168.100.105 and 192.168.100.164) and directly wired to ports 40 and 41 they are unable to ping each other unless ports 40 and 41 are made a member of VLAN 1 as well as VLAN 100.

What is wrong in  my thinking here? 

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
WouterB
Aspirant

Re: Help with basic VLAN setup for GS748Tv5 required

Well, it works now.

I've power cycled the switch. Here's what I did:

- Created a new VLAN with ID 100

- Made two ports Untagged members of this VLAN 100

- Set the PVID of these two ports to 100

- Removed the two ports from membership of VLAN 1

- Connected two servers with IP addresses in the same subnet, no further configuration on the servers

Both servers can ping eachother. Computer attached to different ports cannot ping them.

Thanks for your help John,

Wouter

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi WouterB, 

Welcome to the community! 

Your configuration appears correct to me. I'd just like to know, however, did you define a gateway address for both devices? Also, what is the firmware version that you are using? 

Thanks,

Message 2 of 10
WouterB
Aspirant

Hi John,

I did define a gateway for each device: both 192.168.100.1 which, with routing disabled, is not a known host and is not pingable. In my view this isn't necessary if the hosts are only to ping each other. But of course, I may be wrong here.

The Software Version on my switch is 6.3.1.11.

After posting my question I proceeded to factory reset the entire switch, try the same test, but the outcome was the same.

Cheers,

Wouter

Model: GS748Tv5|ProSafe 48 ports Gigabit Smart switch
Message 3 of 10
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi WouterB, 

Well, that's odd. Only one thing to suspect, the firewalls on the PC. Try disabling them and see if it will allow you to pass. How are you testing the connection? 

Thanks,

Message 4 of 10
WouterB
Aspirant

Well, I have two laptops directly connected to these to ports. One is a Windows PC, the other a MAC. I have to turn off the firewall on the Windows PC because nothing gets through if I leave that on. The firewall on the the MAC is turned off as well.When both PC's are connected to the switch in a factory default setting they can both ping eachother, no problem. So I think that rules out any firewall problems.

When I have a continuous ping running on both PC's I reconfigure the switch to make both ports Untagged members of VLAN 100, apply the change and the ping continues. But when I then clear both ports on VLAN 1 and apply that change the pinging stops.

I feel like I'm just looking at this thing the wrong way. I actually don't expect anything to be wrong with the switch.

Model: GS748Tv5|ProSafe 48 ports Gigabit Smart switch
Message 5 of 10
WouterB
Aspirant

John,

I haven't done anything on the clients to tell them they're part of VLAN 100. Should I do that or can the clients remain VLAN agnostic?

Message 6 of 10
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi WouterB, 

I can't say it's a configuration problem as well. You did it right, removed them from VLAN1, untagged 10 VLAN 100, set static IP and gateway address and subnet. I believe it is best to contact our support team and have them take a better look at what you did. 

Thanks,

Message 7 of 10
WouterB
Aspirant

Thanks John,

I'll try again, but this time with CentOS servers instead of clients and see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't I'll contact support.

Cheers,
Wouter

Message 8 of 10
WouterB
Aspirant

Well, it works now.

I've power cycled the switch. Here's what I did:

- Created a new VLAN with ID 100

- Made two ports Untagged members of this VLAN 100

- Set the PVID of these two ports to 100

- Removed the two ports from membership of VLAN 1

- Connected two servers with IP addresses in the same subnet, no further configuration on the servers

Both servers can ping eachother. Computer attached to different ports cannot ping them.

Thanks for your help John,

Wouter

Message 9 of 10
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi WouterB, 

Thanks for sharing the solution! I'm not sure what's quite different with the last post. It seemed like the configuration is the same as your first post except for the reboot. I'm glad you have it working now. 

Thanks,

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements