× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to determine which switch works best for you?

pdaalder
Aspirant

How to determine which switch works best for you?

Hi,

I found the tool at the netgear site to help narrow down the list of switches, and then I'm still confused.

First, I'm new to the switches.

The requirements I have are

• The switch I would like to purchase is for home use.
  • The house has a 24 patch panel (not all ports are used).
  • I have currently planned 10 PoE devices
  • I would like to group addresses to disconnect the IP camera from the internet and from my main network.

I found

• JGS524PE 24port (12 PoE)
  • S350 24port PoE+ (24 PoE)
  • GS108T 200 GES

There where more but I randomly selected these 3.

My question to you is: What is the difference between all these devices? Ok JGS524 has only 12 PoE ports, but I guess there are more differences. How can I decided is a device is a match for my needs?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Peter

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: How to determine which switch works best for you?

Hello Peter.

Please evaluate the PoE requirements further. Most "simple" PoE IEEE 802.3af (not talking of PoE+ IEEE 802.3at and the new 4PoE IEEE 802.3bt) request - even if there are different power classes - request and reserve the full 15.4 W on the PoE switch. The available PoE power on smaller switches is limited, and does not have to comply with the number of PoE ports. The mentioned JGS524PE does have 12 PoE (802.11af) ports, but a max power budget of 100 Watts. Say you try to connect 12 simple wireless AP like a WAC505/510, you will find that only six will be powered (6 * 15.4 W == 92.4 W), even if the effective required power is way less - but the lower power classes are not sufficient to power it under all conditions.

Real PoE+ and 4PoE devices can request required power in a more granular way, but when operating classic PoE devices, the above "logic" does apply.

Be aware that bigger/faster wireless AP, e.g. a WAC540 does require PoE+, the upcoming up WiFi 6 access points need even more power (depending on the number of WiFI radios and the uplink speed, e.g MultiGig or 10G - what requires more expensive switches then, or at least two network links in a LAG).

Regards,

-Kurt. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@pdaalder,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

The JGS524PE switch belongs to the Smart Managed Plus Switches wherein these switches gives user the flexibility to configure certain static layer 2 settings in order to improve network efficiency and performance.  The configurable features are Port Mirroring, VLAN, QoS, Rate Limit, and Broadcast Storm Filtering.  

Both the GS108Tv2 and the S350 24-port PoE (GS324TP) belongs to the Smart Managed Pro Switches wherein it has many of the benefits of a managed switch without the complexity or cost of a fully-managed switch. You can monitor ports, configure trunks, and set prioritization, all with an intuitive Web interface. A smart switch has more capability than an unmanaged switch, but not all that of a fully managed switch. For example, a smart switch can configure ports, set up trunking, and even virtual LAN’s (VLAN’s). 

Note that the GS108T-200GES is the product order code for GS108Tv2 switch in Europe.  Also, the GS108Tv2 does not support PoE.  

If I were to choose from the switches mentioned, I will select the S350 24-port PoE (GS324TP) because it supports PoE/PoE+ on all 24 ports.  To know more about the specifications of the JGS524PE, GS324TP and GS108Tv2 switches, kindly check their respective data sheets below: 

JGS524PE Data Sheet

GS324TP Data Sheet

GS108Tv2 Data Sheet 

Furthermore, let me share the following links below for you to know more about the NETGEAR Switches and will help you choose the switch that will fit your network requirements:

Which NETGEAR switch is right for me?

NETGEAR Switch Selector

NETGEAR Business Product Catalog 2019 - see pages 16-69 

If your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Hello Peter.

Please evaluate the PoE requirements further. Most "simple" PoE IEEE 802.3af (not talking of PoE+ IEEE 802.3at and the new 4PoE IEEE 802.3bt) request - even if there are different power classes - request and reserve the full 15.4 W on the PoE switch. The available PoE power on smaller switches is limited, and does not have to comply with the number of PoE ports. The mentioned JGS524PE does have 12 PoE (802.11af) ports, but a max power budget of 100 Watts. Say you try to connect 12 simple wireless AP like a WAC505/510, you will find that only six will be powered (6 * 15.4 W == 92.4 W), even if the effective required power is way less - but the lower power classes are not sufficient to power it under all conditions.

Real PoE+ and 4PoE devices can request required power in a more granular way, but when operating classic PoE devices, the above "logic" does apply.

Be aware that bigger/faster wireless AP, e.g. a WAC540 does require PoE+, the upcoming up WiFi 6 access points need even more power (depending on the number of WiFI radios and the uplink speed, e.g MultiGig or 10G - what requires more expensive switches then, or at least two network links in a LAG).

Regards,

-Kurt. 

Message 3 of 4
pdaalder
Aspirant

Wow!!! Thank you both for the detailed information, and thank you Kurt for additional details. Both answers helped me a lot to understand which device to go for.

Peter

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements