× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: IGMP Snooping JGS524Ev2

daveGPL
Aspirant

IGMP Snooping JGS524Ev2

Hi,

I bought 4 Netgear switches ( 3x JGS524Ev2 and 1x JGS524PE) and I am trying to setup IGMP to work properly. At the moment the settings look like this on all switches https://imgur.com/a/2e0UzQg . I have also tried to use "ANY" as IGMP snooping Static Router port, but it still does not work. At the moment I have either the network flooded with all the multicasts on the network or I have none.

I would also like to understand how "Block Unknown Multicast Address" works, is there a database on the switch where you create a whitelist of Mulitcast IPs to be allowed to travel around the network ? 

Do I need to set up only the main SW with IGMP instead, maybe ?

Thank you

Dave

Model: JGS524Ev2|ProSafe Plus 24 ports gigabits switch
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

All switches require the same IGMP snooping config - otherwise thier ports will be flooded (as you have seen).

And yes, IGMP snooping can be enabled on one VLAN only - if there are multiple VLAN you have to define the VLAN.

Multicast groups are a different thing, and vase on the addresses (on the same VLAN).

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Firmware is current - version in place?

Tried a factory reset?

Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switches User Manual, p.50 says:

===

Select the Block Unknown MultiCast Address Enable radio button.
When this feature is enabled, multicast packets are forwarded only to the ports that
are in the multicast group learned from IGMP snooping. All unknown multicast
packets are dropped.
===

Message 2 of 5
daveGPL
Aspirant

Hi,

2.6.0.24 - all of them.

I did reset to factory.

Only to multicast group, that means VLAN1 ?

I reconfigured only the main switch to use IGMP snooping and the rest of them in free run mode.

So the multicast is tagged now as VLAN1 on the main so everytime I pull a multicast from the main switch anywhere on the network, all the swtches go mad in blinking. I guess I need to add only the ports that should have access to mutlicast to the same VLAN 1 as the mcast, and the IP phones in a separate VLAN, WiFi in a separate VLAN, etc. right ? But I do struggle there since I do not know if the other switches should have the same IGMP setup as the main switch.

Regards,

Cosmin

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

All switches require the same IGMP snooping config - otherwise thier ports will be flooded (as you have seen).

And yes, IGMP snooping can be enabled on one VLAN only - if there are multiple VLAN you have to define the VLAN.

Multicast groups are a different thing, and vase on the addresses (on the same VLAN).
Message 4 of 5
daveGPL
Aspirant

Hi @schumaku ,

Thank you a lot for suggestions. All working as it should now. I did also set up port 24 for all switches to be the IGMP routing port and did block all the unknown mcast addresses. 

Works like a charm.

Thanks.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements