× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is a GS908E a Managed Switch?

PeteCalxx
Aspirant

Is a GS908E a Managed Switch?

The box says "......Smart Managed Plus Switch"  but on the,

NETGEAR-Product-Registration-FAQ 

it is listed under Unmanaged switch (87).

And what does a Management VLAN mean?

Model: GS908E|8-port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch with Cable Management
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Is a GS908E a Managed Switch?

@PeteCalxx,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Thanks you this report. The GS908E belongs to the Smart Managed Plus Switch models.  I have already sent a request to correct this article. 

The purpose of a Management VLAN is to prevent unauthorized users from accessing the configuration of the switch.  You can have at least one port as member of a Management VLAN. 

Be informed that the GS908E does not support Management VLAN since it is a Smart Managed Plus Switch.  Smart Managed Plus Switch Models gives user the flexibility to configure certain static layer 2 settings in order to improve network efficiency and performance.  The configurable features are Port Mirroring, VLAN, QoS, Rate Limit, and Broadcast Storm Filtering. 

If ever you want to implement a Management VLAN to your network, I suggest you either of the following switch models below.  Click the links to learn more:

Smart Managed Pro Switches

Insight Managed Smart Cloud Switches

Fully Managed Switches

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@PeteCalxx,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Thanks you this report. The GS908E belongs to the Smart Managed Plus Switch models.  I have already sent a request to correct this article. 

The purpose of a Management VLAN is to prevent unauthorized users from accessing the configuration of the switch.  You can have at least one port as member of a Management VLAN. 

Be informed that the GS908E does not support Management VLAN since it is a Smart Managed Plus Switch.  Smart Managed Plus Switch Models gives user the flexibility to configure certain static layer 2 settings in order to improve network efficiency and performance.  The configurable features are Port Mirroring, VLAN, QoS, Rate Limit, and Broadcast Storm Filtering. 

If ever you want to implement a Management VLAN to your network, I suggest you either of the following switch models below.  Click the links to learn more:

Smart Managed Pro Switches

Insight Managed Smart Cloud Switches

Fully Managed Switches

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
PeteCalxx
Aspirant

Thank you.

I have a lot to learn.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats