× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is it possible to restore switches configurations from a switch to another switch

Tayyan
Aspirant

Is it possible to restore switches configurations from a switch to another switch

Hello,

My question ist it possible to restore switches configurations from a switch to another switch with a diffrent model ?

as example i use switch:

GS752TP
 can i restore its settings to another switch that has a different model.
so in other words: Is the restore process will only work with the same exact model and firmware only?

Regards,
Tariq
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Is it possible to restore switches configurations from a switch to another switch

@Tayyan,

As I have mentioned previously, you cannot restore a config file to a different switch model.  Hope these scenarios below would help you understand:   

a. Restore config file from the NETGEAR GS752TP switch to another NETGEAR GS752TP switch - RECOMMENDED

b. Restore config file from NETGEAR M4100-26G switch (or any different NETGEAR switch model) to the NETGEAR GS752TP switch - NOT Recommended

c. Restore config file from NETGEAR GS752TP switch to NETGEAR M4100-26G switch (or any different NETGEAR switch model) - NOT Recommended

d. Restore config file of any 3rd party switch model (such as Cisco, Juniper, etc) to the NETGEAR GS752TP switch - NOT Recommended

e. Restore config file of the NETGEAR GS752TP switch to any any 3rd party switch model (such as Cisco, Juniper, etc) - NOT Recommended

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Tayyan,

If ever you have a GS752TP switch, it is not recommended to restore its config file to a different switch model.  It is because it might cause an error to the switch function and hardware fault as well.  You can only restore the config file of the GS752TP switch to another GS752TP switch.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
Tayyan
Aspirant

@DaneA

Thanks you  DaneA, so we can only restore the config in GS752TP to another switch with the same model, but in general can we restore the configration from a modren switch model to another different switch, in other word is rule that both model and software should be the same in order to make a successful resotor without issues?

Tariq Tayyan

Message 3 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Tayyan,

As I have mentioned previously, you cannot restore a config file to a different switch model.  Hope these scenarios below would help you understand:   

a. Restore config file from the NETGEAR GS752TP switch to another NETGEAR GS752TP switch - RECOMMENDED

b. Restore config file from NETGEAR M4100-26G switch (or any different NETGEAR switch model) to the NETGEAR GS752TP switch - NOT Recommended

c. Restore config file from NETGEAR GS752TP switch to NETGEAR M4100-26G switch (or any different NETGEAR switch model) - NOT Recommended

d. Restore config file of any 3rd party switch model (such as Cisco, Juniper, etc) to the NETGEAR GS752TP switch - NOT Recommended

e. Restore config file of the NETGEAR GS752TP switch to any any 3rd party switch model (such as Cisco, Juniper, etc) - NOT Recommended

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 5
Tayyan
Aspirant

@DaneA

thank you for answering my question.

Regards,

Tayyan

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements